• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance claim question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geekgirl

What is the name of your state? CA

A 17 year old teenager ran a red light and hit my car. His insurance company has claimed 100% liability. I took my car to a repair shop of my choice and an adjuster from his insurance company did an estimate and told me that the labor rates at that shop are higher than the prevailing labor rates that they have. She told me that I may have to pay for the difference. I'm getting really upset at this and I've decided to go through my insurance company and have them subrogate my claim with the other insurance company.

I have whiplash, shoulder and back pain and have notified the other insurance company about it. They told me to go for treatment and request my chiropractor if he can hold the bills until the treatment is over and they will compensate me for the bills plus for pain and suffering. However with how they're treating me, I'm quite apprehensive about telling my chiropractor to hold the bills since the other person's insurance company my screw me and I would end up with the bills. Can I just have my medical insurance pay for this but still claim for pain and suffering from the other insurance company? I don't have medical in my car insurance.

I'd appreciate any info you could give me regarding this. I am so angry and frustrated dealing with the other person's insurance company.

Thanks!

ecmst12

1. Your car insurance is probably going to tell you the exact same thing that the other insurance told you. Insurance pays reasonable/prevailing labor rates for your area. If the shop does not want to accept the insurance company's price, then you can pay the difference or find another shop that will accept the price on the estimate. In my experience, the shop will almost always accept the insurance company's price, rather then lose a customer. So before you decide to let your insurance company pay (and possibly have to put out your deductible), ask the shop if they'll accept the price on the estimate.

2. If your health insurance pays your accident-related medical bills, you will have to pay them back out of any settlement you get. Make sure you take that into account when making your demand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">