• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interesting Health Plan Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loopholed

Florida
I just found out I had no health coverage for the month of September 2005:

In August 2005, my company changed to a new health benefits company. So, in early August about 80 employees, myself included, filled out new applications for health insurance. The health benefits company worked with CIGNA to calculate the premiums for the new health plan. Then they had us cut a check to CIGNA for ~$20,000 as a pre-payment for 100% of the employee premiums for the month of September 2005. The check cleared the bank August 22nd.

On August 27 I voluntarily quit my job. Today I just found out that I had no coverage for the month of September! I called CIGNA and discovered that I was NEVER a member of the health group.

Is the health benefits company on the hook for failing to sign me up? My full contribution for September 2005 had already been pre-paid to CIGNA, and cleared the bank, before I quit. I'm assuming that they "cancelled" my coverage before it even began.

I received no notification whatsoever. How should I proceed here?What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So you quit your job and assumed that health insurance benefits would continue with no further contributions from you? September was a long time ago, pal. How long did you think your former employer would cover you on the strength of your September payment? Why has it taken you till February, and late February at that, to investigate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">