• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interferce during visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoodlum

What is the name of your state? Indiana. My question concerns interference during visitation. My ex-girlfriend got our daughter a cell phone about a month ago. Our daughter is 13. Originally my daughter wanted me to purchase her one and I told her no because I did not feel that she could be responsible for the phone and its use. She wanted one so that she could call her friends and because her mom would not let her use their home phone. Which I thought was dumb as all of my daughter’s friends are local to her mom’s home phone. I also told her that her mom would have control over the phone at her house and if she did not want her talking on it, it would be a waste of my time, money and energy. So as usual mom wants to one up me so she gets her one.

Anyway the phone has become another form of an umbilical cord, her mom now constantly and consistently monitors my visitation with our daughter. My daughter calls her constantly through out the day to give her an update as to our activities and everything else. Well last night I had my fill and I took the phone from her and told her she could have it back when she gets ready to go home.

In the meantime we got a call about a relative of my ex’s and she wanted to call her mom to give her an update. So I allowed her to use my phone and call her mom. Well she immediately told her mother that I had taken her phone. So I allowed her to continue talking until I knew that it was mostly malicious crap about me and so I took my phone back. My daughter immediately told me that her mother was going to press charges against me for theft of her phone.

Is there anything that I can do to put a stop to her mother’s constant interference with my visitation time? I would not mind her calling her mother once a day as I feel that all kids should be able to have contact with both parents but not to this point.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why are you allowing your daughter to call her mom a dozen times a day? From the sounds of things it is daughter calling mom and not mom calling child. Also you have not stolen the phone so long as you return it at the end of the visitation and it goes back home with daughter. You have a right to make rules in your house during your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">