• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invasion of Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annegg

What is the name of your state? CA

If I report a crime to a law enforcement agency and am told the report is confidential...when another city employee claims to have access to the information and is using it against us to cause others to harass us...is this an issue of invasion of privacy by the "other" city employee ?

What is the responsibility/accountability of the original agency ??

help

anne

quincy

I am unclear, from the information you provided, what exactly is going on, but it does not sound at all like invasion of privacy.

A law enforcement agency does not have to release any of their reports if they are investigating a crime. As for the city employee who claims to have access to this information, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you can provide more details???

annegg

I am unclear, from the information you provided, what exactly is going on, but it does not sound at all like invasion of privacy.

A law enforcement agency does not have to release any of their reports if they are investigating a crime. As for the city employee who claims to have access to this information, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you can provide more details???
more details:
This city employee on off hours threatened that he has insider information that we report the illegal activities of his neighbors and if we do not stop, he will find out (cause he has insider info) tell his neighbors and they will make trouble for my family.
Is this an invasion of privacy by a city employee even tho it is "off hours" when he makes the threat to use his position to "find out" we are the ones reporting ??

BTW
The city has declined accountablility cause this guy made all the threats off hours.
His "neighbors" have followed thru with the threat however 3 times in 10 days.
The most recent: hemming in my car in front of my home so I could not leave with my children. When friends who came to my aid and pleaded with them to let me get out with my kids they walked away saying " she needs to be taught a lesson" (obviously for continueing to report them to the authorities) An hour later this city worker (on off hours) came with keys to move one of the cars blocking my leaving the area.
Anyway, we filed a police report but we want to go after this guy (and his neighbors) to leave our family alone.

Please advise.
anne

quincy

I'm sorry, annegg. I think I remember your situation now. You posted before.

To answer your question, no, this is more a police matter, with the threats and harassment, than an invasion of privacy issue. I would look into getting a civil harassment complaint filed, and a restraining order issued.

And I would continue to call the police every time this city employee or any of his friends cause you trouble.

Invasion of privacy involves four separate torts, although some states cover these privacy actions under libel and trespass laws. The four torts are: intrusion on a person's physical solitude (an example would be the use of microphones or cameras to tape private activities - like eavesdropping or peeping-Tom situations) and putting a person in a false position in the public eye (an example would be using a person's photo to illustrate a story on drug addicts when they are not a drug addict - this is similar to defamation and will often bring both invasion of privacy and defamation actions) and appropriation of some element of a person's personality for commercial use (an example would be using a famous person's name without authorization to advertise a product - this also violates a person's right to publicity) and publication of private matters violating the ordinary decencies (an example would be getting private health information and telling people you have a STD).

Reports to the city and reports to the police are your best chances of resolving this issue - with a court ordered injunction a possible remedy to future harassment.

annegg

I'm sorry, annegg. I think I remember your situation now. You posted before.

To answer your question, no, this is more a police matter, with the threats and harassment, than an invasion of privacy issue. I would look into getting a civil harassment complaint filed, and a restraining order issued.

And I would continue to call the police every time this city employee or any of his friends cause you trouble.

Invasion of privacy involves four separate torts, although some states cover these privacy actions under libel and trespass laws. The four torts are: intrusion on a person's physical solitude (an example would be the use of microphones or cameras to tape private activities - like eavesdropping or peeping-Tom situations) and putting a person in a false position in the public eye (an example would be using a person's photo to illustrate a story on drug addicts when they are not a drug addict - this is similar to defamation and will often bring both invasion of privacy and defamation actions) and appropriation of some element of a person's personality for commercial use (an example would be using a famous person's name without authorization to advertise a product - this also violates a person's right to publicity) and publication of private matters violating the ordinary decencies (an example would be getting private health information and telling people you have a STD).

Reports to the city and reports to the police are your best chances of resolving this issue - with a court ordered injunction a possible remedy to future harassment.
Excellent.

BTW he came by tonite and was videotaping my home from the street. I went out with a video camera and got him videotaping and boy was he surprised .
We haven;t had time to get a TRO since the last incidence was only the 14th., but got the police out just the same to document.

I read that stalking is a mental illness and rarely cured.
I am going to meet with our Sr. Lead Thursday to get more advice.
Thanks
You are always here when I need you !

quincy

Getting things done through the legal system is often a slow process, but it sounds like you are doing everything that needs to be done. Good luck, and post back with any updates. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">