• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icecade

An Update

It is now four days before the court hearing. My sixteen year old daughter called me an hour ago to tell me that she is now staying at her boyfriends house because she said her mother (my ex wife) kicked her out. My seventeen year old son has asked me to move in yesterday because of their mother berating them. He said she told her he is not allowed to mention my name in her house ever again, under any circumstance. This includes him saying his own last name. I am now in preparations to have him move in here.

I know at this point my best bet would be to have the children come to the court hearing on Monday. But I can not and will not parade them in front of a judge. A court room is no place for a child. However, we have talked about them submitting a statement on behalf of this situation because they are both very against their younger brother being adopted by their step-father. I don't like the idea of doing it because it still directly involves them in an adult situation. So therefore, I am asking, from an attorney's and judges point of view, how much bearing would such a statement make?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
None. They'd have to be there. You could request that they speak privately to the judge.

My sixteen year old daughter called me an hour ago to tell me that she is now staying at her boyfriends house
Uuuhh.... why are you allowing this, rather than insisting on her coming to your home? Or are you ready to be called "Grandpa"?

go for it!!

I know you do not want to involve the other children but you may have to bring them to court, sit them with someone outside the court room, ask the judge to speak to them alone if he is so inclined and yes, your court order is good if it has not been modified. I had a friend go through the same thing!!! He went to the house, brought the court order, showed the police the order after he called them for a report or she called them about his being there and took her to court for contempt. She eventually landed in jail and HE got custody!!!!!!!! DO NOT give up, that is what she is counting on

I generally wouldn't advice bringing the children into this, but they are almost adults. A judge needs to know that this mother has willfully abondoned one child. And you need to show the court that you are ready willing and able to step up to the plate.

blc

You may want to check...I live in TX and have found out that even if my ex DOES NOT pay child support I am legally obligated to let him HAVE HIS VISITATION....do what they are telling you leave a message letting her know when you will be there.....then go to pick up the kids with the court order...have a small recorder on you and when you get there state that you are "there to pick up the children as stated in the message you left her on such date at such time" then let her say whatever she wants....you will have her denying the kids to you on tape and will be used as evidence in court....trust me...i have had to bite my tounge and watch the things i say to my ex for this reason....just because she is the mom doesnt mean she will win...i know we women are vidictive...but dont feel inferior to her....IF you are trying to be apart of your child life...then push it...ABUSE YOUR RIGHT AS A PARENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silverplum

You may want to check...I live in TX
This invalidates the rest of your post right there...
blc said:
and have found out that even if my ex DOES NOT pay child support I am legally obligated to let him HAVE HIS VISITATION....
Well, DUH. Family Law 101. :rolleyes:
blc said:
do what they are telling you leave a message letting her know when you will be there.....then go to pick up the kids with the court order...have a small recorder on you and when you get there state that you are "there to pick up the children as stated in the message you left her on such date at such time" then let her say whatever she wants....you will have her denying the kids to you on tape and will be used as evidence in court....trust me...i have had to bite my tounge and watch the things i say to my ex for this reason....
Show where it's legal to do this. (I don't care if it is, or isn't. I already HAVE the answer.) I want you to back up what you write.
blc said:
just because she is the mom doesnt mean she will win...i know we women are vidictive...but dont feel inferior to her....IF you are trying to be apart of your child life...then push it...
blahblahblah, no legal info here, blahblahblah
blc said:
ABUSE YOUR RIGHT AS A PARENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Huh? WTF does that even mean??

Silverplum

Explain yourself.

I am currently stationed in Texas in the ARMY and am trying to get my divorce from my wife who I have been seperated from for over a year now.
You may want to check...I live in TX and have found out that even if my ex DOES NOT pay child support I am legally obligated to let him HAVE HIS VISITATION....we women are vidictive....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">