• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iowa speeding violation, vehicle description on the ticket is incorrect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what happens when the poster goes to his county attorney and the county attorney says no?

Silverplum

Like I told someone else before. If you live in a small town, go see your county attorney if he's the one who handles prosecuting tickets. If you are well known or if you have a decent record he may just forgive it. They will make you sign a paper and "poof" it's gone.
That is some amaaaaazing "advice," right there.

homebuyer1983 said:
You can get a lawyer and get your ticket amount reduced in court. And sometimes you don't even have to be in court because trust me, you don't want to sit there for an hour or so while they hand down sentencing to people for DUI's, Pot, speeding, etc. It's boring and your lawyer can appear for you and speak on your behalf. Or you can pay it. I've had my make and model wrong on tickets before. My name was spelled wrong one time. It doesn't matter.
You've had a bunch of tickets in your state.

homebuyer1983 said:
If you pay it, ask for traffic school, in my state it will keep points off of your license. And in my state you can use it once per year so don't get any more tickets for a year if your state has a limit to how many times you can take traffic school.
Now the OP knows about you and your state.

:rolleyes:

You've been asked to stop your silliness. I'm sure that, when you needed help, you wanted accuracy and laws that applied to you and your situation, in your state. Everyone wants that. Why are you preventing others from getting accurate help?

proud_parent

And now some advice from an actual Iowa resident who has been driving here for two decades...:rolleyes:

If you live in a small town, go see your county attorney if he's the one who handles prosecuting tickets. If you are well known or if you have a decent record he may just forgive it. They will make you sign a paper and "poof" it's gone.
I live in a (relatively) small town. I'm not well known, but I have an excellent driving record and some attorney connections around home. The one time in my life that I was ticketed for speeding? Outside my home county. Yes, even we rural folk are known to drive to Des Moines, or Cedar Rapids, or Sioux City from time to time. (OK, maybe not Sioux City. It smells.)

If you pay it, ask for traffic school, in my state it will keep points off of your license. And in my state you can use it once per year so don't get any more tickets for a year if your state has a limit to how many times you can take traffic school.
By all means, OP, ask for Driver Improvement School. I wish I had a dollar for every fellow motorist I encounter who would benefit from a remedial traffic course; you may be one of them. Just don't expect it to knock any points off your license; it doesn't work that way here.

Furthermore, since you were cited for speeding, points aren't a concern. In Iowa, speed-only violations don't carry any points. If you live around here, you probably knew that already.

And since you were apparently cited for only 13 mph over the speed limit, this wouldn't even be counted under our habitual offender law; i.e., six moving violations within two years. If the six moving violations include speeding, the speeds must be at least 15 mph over the legal speed limit.

If you fight this ticket, the best outcomes you could hope for are:
1) to have the ticket dismissed
2) to be found not guilty
3) to be found guilty of a lesser speed violation (since the fines are graduated based on actual mph in excess of the limit)

Good luck.

Just Blue

And now some advice from an actual Iowa resident who has been driving here for two decades...:rolleyes:

I live in a (relatively) small town. I'm not well known, but I have an excellent driving record and some attorney connections around home. The one time in my life that I was ticketed for speeding? Outside my home county. Yes, even we rural folk are known to drive to Des Moines, or Cedar Rapids, or Sioux City from time to time. (OK, maybe not Sioux City. It smells.)

By all means, OP, ask for Driver Improvement School. I wish I had a dollar for every fellow motorist I encounter who would benefit from a remedial traffic course; you may be one of them. Just don't expect it to knock any points off your license; it doesn't work that way here.

Furthermore, since you were cited for speeding, points aren't a concern. In Iowa, speed-only violations don't carry any points. If you live around here, you probably knew that already.

And since you were apparently cited for only 13 mph over the speed limit, this wouldn't even be counted under our habitual offender law; i.e., six moving violations within two years. If the six moving violations include speeding, the speeds must be at least 15 mph over the legal speed limit.

If you fight this ticket, the best outcomes you could hope for are:
1) to have the ticket dismissed
2) to be found not guilty
3) to be found guilty of a lesser speed violation (since the fines are graduated based on actual mph in excess of the limit)

Good luck.
Glad you are posting here PP!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">