• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Has Wrong Address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

The IRS is sending notices to my x-husband at my address. Originally, a year ago when it started I wrote the correct address on the envelope and they (I assume) forward to his address. (note: I know he received those because he commented on it).

As the notices kept coming, I then wrote on the envelope that this was not his address and return to sender.

The next time it happened, I drove down to the local IRS office with the notices in hand(no I did not open them still sealed) and spoke to a woman there. I had my divorce decree, and his current address. She verified that the notices were for a tax year AFTER our divorce and were not marital.

About three months went by and then the notices came back to my address. I again drove down to the IRS office~went thru the whole spiel again.

I have not received any for about 7 months and today two more notices came. How do I get the IRS to stop sending these notices here? Since the divorce my X has lived at two different address.

Any ideas? or do I need to make yet another drive down to the IRS office.
Thank you.:)

LdiJ

The problem is that the IRS can't change his address unless he himself puts through a change of address form.

All you can do is write "not at this address, return to sender" on the envelope....and keep sending them back.....and then harass your ex to change his address with the IRS. Obviously he has not been filing his tax returns lately, or his address would already be changed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why are you worried about it - drop back in the mail with "not at this address, return to sender" on it. If you wanted to, you could probably have a rubber stamp made up for under $15.
This is really not a legal issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">