• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a breathalyzer test administered before or after being fingerprinting and photographed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lot249

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I'm not sure if the sequence of events is the same for every station, hence the reason for the question.
My wife was arrested on suspicion of DUI. She was involved in an accident at a four-way stop intersection.
She was taken to the station and two breathalyzer tests were administered. Both tests reported a 0.014.
The accident report listed the alcohol/ drug test results as 0.14 and further identified her as the cause of the accident.
Citations were issued for DUI, careless driving, and failure to give way at a posted stop or yield.
The officer simply accepted the other driver's claim of having the right of way as fact. Unfortunately, I believe the officer's suspicion of DUI may have
added more weight to the driver's claim.
A witness to the accident stated that both cars were fully stopped at the intersection before the accident occurred.
The witness had no other information to offer. It's important (per right-of-way) to note that my wife's car was to the right of the other car at the intersection.

Sorry for being so long-winded, I'm just wanting to know the proper or standard procedure used in processing a DUI suspect.
It would seem logical for the police to administer a breathalyzer test first, and based on the results, proceed accordingly.
In this specific case, I believe the test results should have triggered a reevaluation of the facts surrounding the accident and a change in the accident report.
Any information, comments, or insights on this matter would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A witness to the accident stated that both cars were fully stopped at the intersection before the accident occurred.
The witness had no other information to offer. It's important (per right-of-way) to note that my wife's car was to the right of the other car at the intersection.
That only matters if the cars got there at the same time. If the other car stopped at the intersection first, then the other car had the right of way.

Your wife should be speaking to an attorney specializing in DUI defense.

Your prior thread on the same subject from August of last year is at https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/do-i-need-to-engage-legal-representation-in-this-case.663435/. Please keep any remaining questions about the same matter in that thread. Thank you.

Lot249

That only matters if the cars got there at the same time. If the other car stopped at the intersection first, then the other car had the right of way.

Your wife should be speaking to an attorney specializing in DUI defense.

Your prior thread on the same subject from August of last year is at https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/do-i-need-to-engage-legal-representation-in-this-case.663435/. Please keep any remaining questions about the same matter in that thread. Thank you.
Thank you for your response. I didn't want to get too deep into the issue but there were four cars in the intersection.
My wife yielded to the driver to her right who turned left crossing over onto her street.
She then proceeded forward hitting the car whose driver thought by my wife yielding to the car on her right, also gave him the right of way.
Yes, we did engage an attorney to represent my wife. Unfortunately, the matter has not yet been resolved.
By the way, this incident happened 6 months ago. The wheels of so-called justice do turn slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">