• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a subcontractor legally allowed to provide the invoice to the contractor to the customer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adminassist0913

The person I work for was sub contracted to complete a job. There is an invoice that we sent to the contractor that the customer is now requesting we send them because they are seeking legal action against them (I am not sure what for). Are we legally allowed to provide that to the customer or could the contractor counter sue us for giving out that information?

quincy

The person I work for was sub contracted to complete a job. There is an invoice that we sent to the contractor that the customer is now requesting we send them because they are seeking legal action against them (I am not sure what for). Are we legally allowed to provide that to the customer or could the contractor counter sue us for giving out that information?
What is the name of your state, or the name of your country if you are not in the U.S?

Anyone can sue. Whether there is a legal basis for a lawsuit is the question. :)

PayrollHRGuy

Assuming you are in the US.

Yes, you can provide it unless you have a contract with the contractor that says otherwise. If you don't provide it you will likely receive a subpoena for the information.

quincy

It would be the person you are employed by who would need to provide the invoice if the information is subject to a subpoena. This should not involve you unless you personally are named in the lawsuit. This seems to be between your employer, the contractor, and the (unhappy) customer.

quincy

Non-named third parties can certainly be subpoenaed.
Yes. Of course. But the legal matter at this point and from what has been described does not appear to involve Adminassist0913. The invoice is likely not sent by an employee of the subcontractor but rather by the subcontractor hired by the contractor. Again, I am curious about the state/country.

PayrollHRGuy

I really don't understand why you have talked about an employee. There seem to be only 3 entities mentioned in the OP. The Contractor, the sub-contractor (who the OP works for and he referred to as "we"), and the customer. So for the sake of this conversation, the OP and the sub are the same things.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I really don't understand why you have talked about an employee. There seem to be only 3 entities mentioned in the OP. The Contractor, the sub-contractor (who the OP works for and he referred to as "we"), and the customer. So for the sake of this conversation, the OP and the sub are the same things.
The problem is that the OP is just an employe of the sub. The OP is asking the question on behalf of the sub, but it's unlikely that the OP would be compelled, personally, to provide business documents, since it's not his business.

LdiJ

Whether or not the subcontractor could or should provide an invoice copy to the contractor's customer depends entirely on the contractual relationship between the subcontractor and the contractor. Personally, I would not do it without a subpeona from the contractor's customer. The subcontractor's business relationship is with the contractor, not his/her customer. Not only would you take potential risks in providing the information, but you would risk losing future business from that contractor. The contractor would like forgive a subcontractor for obeying a subpeona, otherwise, not so much.

quincy

The problem is that the OP is just an employe of the sub. The OP is asking the question on behalf of the sub, but it's unlikely that the OP would be compelled, personally, to provide business documents, since it's not his business.
Thank you for understanding the original post. :)

Adminassist0913

It would be the person you are employed by who would need to provide the invoice if the information is subject to a subpoena. This should not involve you unless you personally are named in the lawsuit. This seems to be between your employer, the contractor, and the (unhappy) customer.
I’m the administrative assistant for the company, so it would be coming from the company, not myself personally. He was concerned that sending the invoice to the customer would put him at risk legally so I said I would look into it

quincy

Tennessee
Thank you for providing your state name and the reason for your inquiry, Adminassist0913.

I agree with what LdiJ wrote in her first post. The company you work for may very well be pulled into any lawsuit that the customer decides to file against the contractor but, right now, the customer needs to deal with the contractor. It is the contractor with whom the customer has a contract.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And I, personally, wouldn't frame it as "we can't give you paperwork without a court order". There is no reason to provide legal guidance to someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">