• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Alimony Necessary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lorane

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I am writing here because I have a problem with lifetime alimony. If a person is truely disabled, then and only then is lifetime alimony warranted.
I raised two children on $20,000.00 a year. I went back to school at the age of 32 and completed two years of college. I have never received alimony and raised my children to be self sufficient.
The courts are always saying that they have too many cases. Alimony for 3 or 4 years may be warrented, to further education or job training, but one should not have to go back to court to discontinue the payments. It should be decreed to end on a certain date (3 or 4 years from the date of the decree).
The US is the only country that allows welfare. God's law says that a lazy person will not enter heaven. Proverbs 10:4; “Lazy hands make a man poor,
but diligent hands bring wealth.” Programs created to help one into the work force would be a better resolution. Divorce cases are taking 5 and 6 years to get through the courts. This length of time does not warrant a fair and speedy trail. Our laws need to be revised to better the lives of families.

Lifetime alimony is another way of giving welfare to an individual at the expense of someone else. Is this right? I think not. Wake up America.

nextwife

You will get no argument from me. There is no reason an able bodied person cannot learn a profession at any age.

My single sister switched careers at about age 40 (no alimony or CS, just a life choice) and moved cross country and went back to college. She then obtained a fellowship and got yet another degree- from an Ivy League college. My mom was a SAHM for 15 years, and when my dad became disabled with a brain tumor, she went and got a decent full-time job - and she had never gone to college. Even my dad, when he lost his speech and suffered some paralysis from the tumor surgery tried to learn a new career by going back to school. Unfortunately, he died before he completed that journey- but at least he tried.

To me, lifetime alimony implies that we can't expect some poor woman who has been a mom to be capable of learning a career. And that belittles woman by setting low expectations of our capablities. Woman should not so willingly settle for so much less income than men are willing to settle for. WE are capable of so much more.

king sol

This is not intended to be advice or even my opinion, just another perspective.

The Bible also says that when you marry you and your partner become "one flesh" for the remainder of your lives. The Bible also commands you to love your spouse as you love yourself.

If you choose to use the Bible as a reference, you must acknowledge that it is the obligation of a spouse to support the one they became "one flesh" with.

Lorane

The Bible also states that your heart must be right in everything you do. When you marry someone out of deceit, where is you heart? I agree that marriage should be for life, but the majority of the marriages today are for self gratification not for becomeing one. Only God knows, but we have eyes to see what is going on in the world today. Free love was only the begining. Producing children for income is wrong. Awarding lifetime alimony is wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">