• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is filing probate mandatory?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seniorjudge

One last question (I think)... would I be considered the "administrator" of my husbands estate? I will continue to deal with his creditors until final disposition and I want to use correct terminology. Any other suggestions in corresponding with these companies? They don't take no for an answer. We have no assets, just lots and lots of debt.
If you do not open an estate, then you have no authority whatsoever.

Don't talk to these creditors.

MVE6216

I am notifying the creditors of his death and have sent a copy of the death certificate to them as the bills continue to come to my address. Are you suggesting I ignore the bills?

Betty

I wouldn't talk to the creditors on the phone but I would continue to send the bills back indicating deceased and send along a copy of the death cert.

seniorjudge

I am notifying the creditors of his death and have sent a copy of the death certificate to them as the bills continue to come to my address. Are you suggesting I ignore the bills?
Yep, it's time for the BITE ROCKS message.

You will probably get those bills for five or six years.

And phone calls too.

BlondiePB

I love the BITE ROCKS!!! 5 or 6 years you say.... oh boy!
The SOL for debt collection in FL is 4 years.

You could always provide the creditors with your deceased husband's new address. :D

(i.e: Name of hubby, xxx Memorial Park, Lot xx, name of city, state, zipcode).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">