• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it a conflict of interest for an attourney to represent my ex when they already had consultations with me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jkrobel

What is the name of your state? Florida

My ex partner and I are getting divorced. I have a lot of consultations with different attourneys in our area because I want to make sure I got the right one. Now my ex is telling me that they can’t find anyone good to represent them because the attourneys say it’s a conflict of interest since they already had a consultation with me. I feel like my ex might be trying to manipulate me somehow again. I know they don’t want the divorce and they do have a history of making me feel bad to get their way.

LdiJ

My ex partner and I are getting divorced. I have a lot of consultations with different attourneys in our area because I want to make sure I got the right one. Now my ex is telling me that they can’t find anyone good to represent them because the attourneys say it’s a conflict of interest since they already had a consultation with me. I feel like my ex might be trying to manipulate me somehow again. I know they don’t want the divorce and they do have a history of making me feel bad to get their way.
I think your ex is telling the truth on this issue. It is generally considered a conflict of interest. Perhaps you should sign waivers with the attorneys that you don't hire so that one of them could represent your ex if you are worried about that. In fact, unscrupulous people have been known to go out and consult with every decent attorney in town just so that their soon to be ex will have a hard time hiring an attorney.

I think your ex is telling the truth on this issue. It is generally considered a conflict of interest. Perhaps you should sign waivers with the attorneys that you don't hire so that one of them could represent your ex if you are worried about that. In fact, unscrupulous people have been known to go out and consult with every decent attorney in town just so that their soon to be ex will have a hard time hiring an attorney.
All is fair in love and divorce.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

It's generally considered such. As LDi pointed out, you could sign waivers. Unless, of course, you're trying to prevent your stbx from retaining effective counsel.

zddoodah

You didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is.

My ex partner and I are getting divorced.
If you're getting divorced, then this person is your husband, your wife, or your spouse.

Now my ex is telling me that they can’t find anyone good to represent them because the attourneys [sic] say it’s a conflict of interest since they already had a consultation with me.
Uh huh. If attorney (no "u") "A" has consulted with "H" regarding a legal dispute with "W," and if, in the course of that consultation, H has revealed confidential information to A, then it would be problematic for A to represent W in connection with the same dispute. It is possible that H could have A disqualified, which would result in significant added legal fees. Some parties have been known to consult with lots of attorneys for this very purpose.

I know they don’t want the divorce and they do have a history of making me feel bad to get their way.
Who are "they"? Your spouse's gender isn't a mystery to you, is it?

quincy

Here is a link to the 2024 Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys in Florida:

https://www-media.floridabar.org/uploads/2024/01/2024_07-JAN-Chapter-4-RRTFB-1-8-2023.pdf

You do not have to read through all 261 pages. :) Scroll to read Rule 4-1.7, Conflict of Interest, Current Clients (page 58); Rule 4-1.9,, Conflict of Interest, Former Clients (page 79); Rule 4-1.18, Duties to Prospective Clients (page 113).

Making appointments to discuss a case with all of the “good” attorneys in an area is not an uncommon tactic used by a party to prevent his/her opponent from finding good legal representation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">