• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible for a tenant to get an eviction extention?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluelessgirl

IL

My tenant called me and said she doesn't have to leave because she filed an eviction extention and she has another 45 days to live there past the date of the judge's court order. Is that possible? Or did she just make it up?

I thought once an eviction order is entered by the judge, it's final. We went to court 3 weeks ago and the judge already gave her 3 weeks from the date we went to court to move out. How is she able to get an eviction extention?

Banned_Princess

Call the sheriff and follow through with your eviction.

A judge that already ordered her out is not going to give her an extra 45 days.

Ps, I dont know what the above poster "atomizer" is talking about, or why he's telling you to bribe the sheriff's office.

BL

If a Judge were to give a tenant extra time it would have been at the hearing .

If the tenant is not out by the date given in the order contact the authority that handles physical evictions .

Check with the court clerk just to satisfy your doubts .

atomizer

Don't do that.

Do that.

Charlotte, most evictions by sheriffs are scheduled. My guess is that the criteria will vary with whatever county you reside in. I know for a fact that in mine a landlord can be moved up on the list of evictions if (s) he can prove or make a case that a delay will cause a family hardship. Fortunately, they don’t charge an extra fee in my county, but I can see where it is possible in others.

cyjeff

Charlotte, most evictions by sheriffs are scheduled. My guess is that the criteria will vary with whatever county you reside in. I know for a fact that in mine a landlord can be moved up on the list of evictions if (s) he can prove or make a case that a delay will cause a family hardship. Fortunately, they don’t charge an extra fee in my county, but I can see where it is possible in others.
That isn't what you said.

You said, and I quote...

do what you can to get the sheriff out there sooner than what he said. Ask if there is a way you can pay extra to make it a top priority, or what it would take to make this happen
Both parties are equally bound by the court order. Bribing a sheriff to get preferential treatment is an excellent way to get yourself arrested.

applecruncher

Stop listening to your tenant and do what you can to get the sheriff out there sooner than what he said. Ask if there is a way you can pay extra to make it a top priority, or what it would take to make this happen.
:eek:
Good grief. OP, ignore atomizer's insane advice to try to bribe the sheriff and also ignore your lying tenant. Go by what the judge ordered; call the court clerk if you need clarification.

atomizer

:eek:
Good grief. OP, ignore atomizer's insane advice to try to bribe the sheriff and also ignore your lying tenant. Go by what the judge ordered; call the court clerk if you need clarification.
You guys are so funny:D Who is crazy enough to bribe a Sheriff:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">