• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is our contract still valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMK2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

We rented our unit to two individuals with one contract. A few months into the rental, the one roommate moved out. We had a verbal agreement with the other roommate that if she paid the ex-roommate's security deposit she can maintain the rental agreement. She had agreed to it and via email asked about the Pet Agreement fee being reduced since one of the pets was leaving with the ex-roommate. We agreed to the lower amount.

Now the past two months, the remaining roommate has been late with her rent. We sent her a bill via email for the late fees due for the first month. She has not yet paid that.

She emailed us on the day that this months rent was due (March 31) and indicated that she could not pay us yet for April and that we were to use her security deposit for her rent and then when she paid us, that amount would replace the security deposit. I emailed her back indicating that the rental agreement does not allow you to use your security deposit in this manner. She informed me that the original agreement is no longer in affect since we had made so many changes.

She just today paid only the original rent amount with no late fees for either month. I had sent her an email with all the funds due yesterday including clarifications of all late fees due.

She is moving out at the end of May. But I'm concerned that she will not pay her May rent on time again. And she will not pay the late fees due as well.

Is she still legally bound to the original agreement? I do have emails from her indicating that she will remain with the change in the amount due. Her maintaining the lease agreement in just her name was a verbal agreement with the fact that she would be responsible for the security deposit due to the ex-roommate which she did pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">