• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is sidewalk chalk illegal on my apartments walkyway around the lake?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Yeah "Neighbors & Boundaries" is a subthread, not a thread itself. Click on "Neighbors & Boundaries " at the top and it will take you to tons of threads. All I did was click Post new thread.
You posted on "Noisy Kids". Which is a thread. By posting to this DEAD OLD THREAD you brought it back to the top of the CATEGORY of "Neighbors and Boundaries".

Again...PLEASE DON'T DO THAT.

You Are Guilty

Is this a condo? HOA? These usually have rules explicitly prohibiting chalking public sidewalks so while the police aren't going to be arresting a 5 year old anytime soon, the parents may still be held re$pon$ible for the acts of the kids under the controlling docs of the development.

Personal note: this is not a case where the law need intervene. Frankly, such a non-neighbor's complaints might best be served with some chalk arrows pointing to their unit with a "This Way to the Grinch" notation. :p

TigerD

For crying out loud - it's kids and sidewalk chalk. Tell the old bag her village is looking for her.

DC

Antigone*

For crying out loud - it's kids and sidewalk chalk. Tell the old bag her village is looking for her.

DC
When we were kids my brother, sister and I lived in a brownstone-style apt on the second floor. This little old lady was forever saying things to my mom about her kids being noisey. All three of us were under 5. Well one day she came upstairs to complain to my mom. My sister who was about 3 and I opened the door. When we saw it was her my sister said "oh no, not you again!"

I remember the old bag turning around and going back downstairs. She never bugged again.

The point to this story is this: sometimes it takes a child to open the eyes of those who have forgotten what it is like to be a kid.

Ozark_Sophist

I don't have the references with me, but I know their are court decisions finding sidewalk chalk is not graffiti and is protected by the first amendment. Tidbit from my college war protesting days in Missouri. Not entirely sure if aand how it would apply to kids artwork, but...
In OP's example, the owner or owner's agent gave permission, so the question is moot.

Gail in Georgia

Missouri, O'Fallon

We have had a run in with a neighbor that lives right below us. She says her grandson as well as her, find it unacceptable to use sidewalk chalk right out side her bedroom and patio window which is located on a walkway that goes around the lake about 10 feet from her actual apartment.

She states it's an eye sore, vandalism, and graffiti.

There was no real problem until her grandson that is not on the lease came out and yelled that he was sick and tired of the sidewalk chalk next to their building.

Time for said grandson to find another place to live.

Gail

TigerD

sounds like time to organize a sidewalk chalking party. Get all the kids and parents from the building together and chalk up every inch of the sidewalk.

DC

Make Kool aid and grill some brats. It will be a good neighborhood building exercise.

tranquility

In CA, there is a case about sidewalk chalk and the first amendment, but there was not a specific statute and it had to do with following the orders of a police officer.

Isis1

When we were kids my brother, sister and I lived in a brownstone-style apt on the second floor. This little old lady was forever saying things to my mom about her kids being noisey. All three of us were under 5. Well one day she came upstairs to complain to my mom. My sister who was about 3 and I opened the door. When we saw it was her my sister said "oh no, not you again!"

I remember the old bag turning around and going back downstairs. She never bugged again.

The point to this story is this: sometimes it takes a child to open the eyes of those who have forgotten what it is like to be a kid.
omg...that was TOO cute!

Isis1

personally i love the sidewalk chalk. it's washes off with a water hose. and it's MUCH better then pen marks all over my walls. which, by the way is what i'll be scrubbing off MY walls all day today :mad:

two years ago....my kids went crazy with sidewalk chalk all over the 3 unit property. now, the owner has kids too, so i didn't think it would be such an issue. my husband at the time thought it would be (he never had kids at that point). he freaked out. then i pulled out the hose, washed it off. he looked a bit silly after that. the next day, my kids went to play with the owner's kids....totally wrote all over the driveway, all over the building steps. my husband grimanced and walked away. the owner came out and inspected the artwork. totally loved it.:D

now the issue might just not be the artwork itself....but the noise the children are making under the window...

but i totally dig the sidewalk chalk party idea!!!

tranquility

Anyone who thinks sidewalk chalk is graffiti is a problem is to stupid to talk with. But, contests who see who can send a stream of urine further can sometimes escalate to a point where no one is having any fun.

Can't we all just get along? Do we really need to tell the stupid neighbor she's stupid? My goodness, I love a good fight as much as the next, but cleverness is rarely all that clever and tends to bite you in the ass.

BlondiePB

We had a lady in the neighborhood who came knocking on my mom's door one day pleading my mom to stop her girls from beating up the lady's boys. :D

We did that because the lady's boys were picking on the handicapped boy who lived across from the lady. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">