• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a Federal Law that stipulates the existence of counties?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanielSoltero

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing a research on International Law; I'm investigating how the US law regulates the existence of counties. I have the following questions:

What law regulates the existence of counties in the US.?

Is it a Federal Law or each State chooses how to organize its territory?

I'd Like to focus on the state of California, county of San Diego. But would like to understand all the laws that allow the county of San Diego to exists.

In the country of Mexico, for example: All states are subdivided into counties by a Constitutional Mandate. The Mexican Constitution, establishes the guidelines for the existence and administration of counties.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DanielSoltero

That sounded more like "I don't know" to me. Thanks anyways.

If someone asked me this sort of question, with regards to the law of my country, I'd be able to answer it, or give enough insight to lead him in the right direction, without any stress.

Last edited:

justalayman

DanielSoltero;3103977]That sounded more like "I don't know" to me. Thanks anyways.
Ok, let me put it this way/

I really do know the answer to your question and I do occasionally help with homework but since you wanted to be nasty to another poster and attempt to challenge them so they would give you an answer, there is no way I would give an answer now.

If someone asked me this sort of question, with regards to the law of my country, I'd be able to answer it, or give enough insight to lead him in the right direction, without any stress.
I can but as the other poster told you; this is not a homework help sight.

Part of doing homework is learning how and where to find the answers.

Law is easy. Everything you need to know is written and bound into nice books.

The hard part is finding the applicable law or court ruling or advisory or opinion letter and then applying that to your problem.

You spend a lot of time in law school learning how to look things up and how to apply what you find to your situation. Having somebody do it for you doesn't teach you much, other than there are suckers out there and at least 2 in that situation:

1. the guy looking everything up for you and
2. you for accepting the easy answer so you do not learn how to do your job

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And when someone else asks you for answers, you're free to provide them.

The rest of us don't do homework. Feel free to search the forums to see how often we've told people that. The purpose of these forums is not to do your research for you.

DanielSoltero

OHRoadwarrior
They are generally created by the states legislature.
Good to know. Have you looked at the California state web site?
Yes. I've found part of the answer in the State Constitution. But was wondering there was any provision on a Federal Law, or the Constitution (I could not find any myself there).

justalayman
DanielSoltero;3103977]That sounded more like "I don't know" to me. Thanks anyways.
Ok, let me put it this way/

I really do know the answer to your question and I do occasionally help with homework but since you wanted to be nasty to another poster and attempt to challenge them so they would give you an answer, there is no way I would give an answer now.
Nasty? Sorry, English is not my native language and not the law system I know. In my view, the answer to my question was to be very simple by an American Attorney. I did my research, I have some info already, just wanted to know I was in the right direction.

This isn't even my homework, it's a colleague's homework. But he does not speak a word of English. In my book, I'll help anyone, if I can. But obviously, we all have different views about knowledge and how or when to share it.

Thanks to all you for your help.

ecmst12

It's actually NOT a simple question, and the intent of this site is to help people with actual legal situations in the US, not people doing homework.

justalayman

Yes. I've found part of the answer in the State Constitution. But was wondering there was any provision on a Federal Law, or the Constitution (I could not find any myself there).

Nasty? Sorry, English is not my native language and not the law system I know. In my view, the answer to my question was to be very simple by an American Attorney. I did my research, I have some info already, just wanted to know I was in the right direction.

This isn't even my homework, it's a colleague's homework. But he does not speak a word of English. In my book, I'll help anyone, if I can. But obviously, we all have different views about knowledge and how or when to share it.

Thanks to all you for your help.
there is an old saying:

give a man a fish and he eats for a day

teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime

I'n not giving you a fish.

FlyingRon

Not all states have counties.
Not all states that have counties have the entire state divided up into counties.

DanielSoltero

It's actually NOT a simple question, and the intent of this site is to help people with actual legal situations in the US, not people doing homework.
Sorry, I honestly thought it was. In my view, every law student should know how his country, state and county is administered and which laws dictate it's administration. Federal Constitution, State Constitution and local regulations, should be common knowledge for an average attorney. Not knowing it to perfection, but some basic things. My country's Constitution has more text than your Federal Constitution and the state of California put together. I certainly don't know everything in it, but have a good idea of what's in it and even by logic I can tell what's in it and what is located in State laws or State Constitution.

there is an old saying:

give a man a fish and he eats for a day

teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime

I'n not giving you a fish.
Sorry amigo, you didn't show me how to fish either. Or perhaps I'm a bad student. But not hard feelings. I'd give you a hand if you needed it.

Proserpina

Sorry, I honestly thought it was. In my view, every law student should know how his country, state and county is administered and which laws dictate it's administration.

And this is precisely why your "friend" needs to do his/her OWN homework. You proved our point. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">