• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is there a way I can get out of my 12 months lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ange85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I am going to keep it as short as I can to make it easier for people to help.

-moved into apartment 6 months ago, 12 months lease, contract does not say anything about how to break it
-housemates very noise & dirty, do not lock front door, my laptop got stolen out of my room, I cant study or use kitchen or living room as its too dirty
-car got flooded in assigned parking spot (can landlords home ownership insurance be held reliable?)
-landlord barges into my room when I am sleeping after no reply to him knocking (60 year old man, I am 22 year old girl and sleep in my underwear)

I spoke to his wife and she said she will let me out ot the lease. I found a new place to move into and someone to take over my lease. Now, for the last weeks they have ignored my calls completely. They are not out of town and normally call back within an hour. Now, they dont call back or answer the phone.

What if I just move out? Can they sue me for the rest (6 month) worth of the lease? I dont care about the deposit.

Thank you

justalayman

-moved into apartment 6 months ago, 12 months lease, contract does not say anything about how to break it
then there is no early termination without permission of the LL

-housemates very noise & dirty, do not lock front door, my laptop got stolen out of my room, I cant study or use kitchen or living room as its too dirty
housemates? Is this a single home with the bedrooms rented out individually?

-car got flooded in assigned parking spot (can landlords home ownership insurance be held reliable?)
was the LL responsible for the flooding? If not, look to whomever caused the flooding.

-landlord barges into my room when I am sleeping after no reply to him knocking (60 year old man, I am 22 year old girl and sleep in my underwear)
is there no lock on your door?

What if I just move out? Can they sue me for the rest (6 month) worth of the lease? I dont care about the deposit.
they can sue you for the 6 months or however long it takes to find a replacement tenant, whichever is shorter.

Ange85

Thank you.
There is a lock on the door but the key they gave me did not work. They gave me the right key now. It was an old laptop anyway, what worries me more is the general security here.
For what its worth (probably nothing) we got on very well before and I always pay my rent on time etc. I am shocked they are behaving this way now. The wife is normally very nice and I thought the original conversation went well, hence I am so shocked they are ingoring me now and I really dont know why. I can only assume it is because they dont want to let me go but last time we spoke she said she would let me go and I said I would find someone new. Then the 'walk-into-my-room' incident happened which freaked me out. We did not talk that day as I was half asleep. Is this behavior legal???! It isnt enough to break the lease, correct? as I cant prove i?
It is a 3 bedroom apartment and they rent out the rooms inividually. When I moved in the other tenands were very nice, now the new ones are making my life hell.
The parking lot got flooded as the drain was blocked. The housing association wont take any repsonsbility as they say it was a natural disaster.

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

Thank you.
There is a lock on the door but the key they gave me did not work. They gave me the right key now. It was an old laptop anyway, what worries me more is the general security here.
For what its worth (probably nothing) we got on very well before and I always pay my rent on time etc. I am shocked they are behaving this way now. The wife is normally very nice and I thought the original conversation went well, hence I am so shocked they are ingoring me now and I really dont know why. I can only assume it is because they dont want to let me go but last time we spoke she said she would let me go and I said I would find someone new.
Do you have this in writing, text, email, etc.. If not, than you're SOL.

Then the 'walk-into-my-room' incident happened which freaked me out. We did not talk that day as I was half asleep. Is this behavior legal???!
Send them a letter, sent CRR, stating they MUST provide you PROPER notice to enter. They CANNOT enter your room without properly notifying you.

It isnt enough to break the lease, correct? as I cant prove it.
Not enough to break the lease unless it is frequent and intentional after notification.

The parking lot got flooded as the drain was blocked. The housing association wont take any repsonsbility as they say it was a natural disaster.
Failure to clear a clogged drain on private property before a torrential downpour is not a natural disaster.

Ange85

Do you have this in writing, text, email, etc.. If not, than you're SOL. I am SOL! :eek:

Send them a letter, sent CRR, stating they MUST provide you PROPER notice to enter. They CANNOT enter your room without properly notifying you. I assumed this. But I also assume that my landlord being a creep isnt enough to get me out of the lease. He also told me I had a 'nice ass' and asked if my boobs were real, I wonder if that could be classified as sexual harrassment. Either way, I probably wouldnt act on it as his wife is so nice and I dont want to upset her but it made it even creepier when he walked into my room and I was in bed by myself. I am going to change the lock next week!

Failure to clear a clogged drain on private property before a torrential downpour is not a natural disaster.
I know and they also said it'd been clogged 'for 40 years' and the garage keeps flooding. I hadnt known as I had only just moved to Florida and didnt know about a) the heavy rains in the summer and b) that the drain has been blocked for 40 years. I do think the housing association protect themselves against stuff like this though since its FL and floods are common here. They made me sign several forms when I moved in (which I didnt properly read or get photocopies of as I was naive and stupid but now I have learned my lesson)

Proserpina

(I'm sorry ange, and I'm honestly not trying to be critical here - but seriously?

You didn't know about torrential rain..in FLORIDA?

Where the heck have you been living?!)

Ange85

(I'm sorry ange, and I'm honestly not trying to be critical here - but seriously?

You didn't know about torrential rain..in FLORIDA?

Where the heck have you been living?!)

Its ok. I am European, I lived in Dubai before, had never been to the States before.

LdiJ

Its ok. I am European, I lived in Dubai before, had never been to the States before.
That explains it...:)

I think that there is a potential negligence issue regarding the drain. If it has been clogged for 40 years and no one has done anything about it, and no one warns a new tenant of the propensity to flood as a result of the clogged drain, that is a problem in my eyes.

Banned_Princess

How about don't sleep in your underwear.

that would be a start to make you more comfortable.

get an inside lock for your bedroom, I would change the existing doorknob lock to a deadbolt.

it is extremely likely the wife spoke too quickly about letting you out, at this point you should keep all your correspondence to writing.

justalayman

How about don't sleep in your underwear.

that would be a start to make you more comfortable.

get an inside lock for your bedroom, I would change the existing doorknob lock to a deadbolt.

it is extremely likely the wife spoke too quickly about letting you out, at this point you should keep all your correspondence to writing.
I have a problem suggesting the OP not sleep in whatever attire they feel comfortable in. They should have a feeling of security in what is considered their home and should not be subject to unwarranted and ill timed intrusions.

so, with that, the second part of your suggestions is premium advice.

Banned_Princess

I don't know, maybe its my agedness, but I would barely be comfortable showering and changing anywhere in the house, let alone sleeping in my underwear, in rooms where you cannot reasonably protect your own privacy.

So may I move my previous statements around to read, until you are fully protected and secured with a proper lock, don't sleep naked.

but then again, I value my personal space privacy and protection, and would have put in a deadbolt the day I moved in.

Cheers :)

Ange85

I have a problem suggesting the OP not sleep in whatever attire they feel comfortable in.

Thank you, I strongly agree. Surely I should be able to sleep in whatever I want in my own room??

Anyway guess what, I went to speak to them personally today and they said they are letting me out and sorry for not getting back to me sooner (didnt say why). I am so glad it ended this way because I really wasnt prepared to take any legal steps, I just dont have the time right now.

Thanks for all the advice anyway and I will speak to someone professional about the car issue. I appreciate your help.

Banned_Princess

I have a problem suggesting the OP not sleep in whatever attire they feel comfortable in.

Thank you, I strongly agree. Surely I should be able to sleep in whatever I want in my own room??

Anyway guess what, I went to speak to them personally today and they said they are letting me out and sorry for not getting back to me sooner (didnt say why). I am so glad it ended this way because I really wasnt prepared to take any legal steps, I just dont have the time right now.

Thanks for all the advice anyway and I will speak to someone professional about the car issue. I appreciate your help.
you had better get that in writing.

davew128

I don't know, maybe its my agedness, but I would barely be comfortable showering and changing anywhere in the house, let alone sleeping in my underwear, in rooms where you cannot reasonably protect your own privacy.
It's definitely you. Many younger women don't even wear underwear in bed. presuming their is a door to their bedroom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">