• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything that can be done about 5 ppl living in a 1 bd apt??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reqless607

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
My boyfriends ex recently moved to a different state, MO, and for about 2 months we've thought they were living in a 1 bedroom apartment, His ex her 25 year old boyfriend, 13 year old daughter, 12 year old son, and 7 year old son (and 2 dogs). And today the daughter finally was given a cellphone and told my boyfriend and me "Mom told me I can't tell you or Ill get my cell taken away but I wont lie, we are living in an apartment and its one bedroom" I did some searching online and was able to confirm it is 1 bedroom under 700 sq ft. We think this isnt right especially given the age of the live in boyfriend and the daughter. My boyfriend called a child protective hotline but they said there isnt anything they can do. Is there really nothing that can be done? This isnt considered neglect at all? Should my boyfriend call his lawyer, there isnt a parenting plan currently? Child support is always paid and both the mother and boyfriend have good full time jobs so I cant see them not finding adequate housing. I know its not my problem and Im not butting in with them, I just want to gets some advice, because in the 4 years Ive dated my boyfriend Ive become close with those kids and the fact that they are living with no beds of their own, their mom pawns all the things we buy them and now this apartment situation, it is really eating away at me.

Reqless607

wow what a response....and just because I ask random internet forum people doesnt mean Im butting in, I don't actually say anything to anyone involved. If thats the best you can do in answering in a legal forum maybe you shouldn't. I'm a decent human being and most people other than me would see the problem in this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
wow what a response....and just because I ask random internet forum people doesnt mean Im butting in, I don't actually say anything to anyone involved. If thats the best you can do in answering in a legal forum maybe you shouldn't. I'm a decent human being and most people other than me would see the problem in this.
The problem is that it's none of your business, legally speaking.

Reqless607

why cant anyone just answer the question. I swear the only thing that matters on this site is who asks the question not the actual question..lame

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
why cant anyone just answer the question. I swear the only thing that matters on this site is who asks the question not the actual question..lame
If there is a problem, then the father of the children should make his own account and ask his own questions. It's really pretty pathetic that he's gotta have you do it for him. THAT is what is lame.

Reqless607

Who cares what account its on? I could easily make another account so I don't see why who ask the question matters, thats ok I got actual answers on yahoo and looking it up myself than people on here pretending to know anything legal. Answer to my own question: it violates occupancy laws and he needs to contact the county health department to inform them.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Who cares what account its on? I could easily make another account so I don't see why who ask the question matters, thats ok I got actual answers on yahoo and looking it up myself than people on here pretending to know anything legal. Answer to my own question: it violates occupancy laws and he needs to contact the county health department to inform them.
The Clueless leading The Even More Clueless. :rolleyes:

CourtClerk

Make sure to ask them to point you to the applicable statutes. Then come back and post them here. Teach us something.

SESmama

I believe the most that would happen is the parents will be required to obtain a larger apartment. This is not a case where the father of the child(ren) would gain custody. No, this is not neglect. Tight living quarters yes but certainly not neglect.

AkersTile

Actually according to DFS:

1. Each child must have a bed of their own (a mattress on the floor counts as a bed)

2. Children over the age of 5 of the opposite gender, may not share a room.

Honestly, you could have 50 people living in a 1 bedroom if they were all adults, or if all the children were the same gender.

Whether the DFS rules would hold up in court, I don't know, but that is what DFS says, and I have seen them remove children from parents homes just for violating those rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">