• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination of some sort?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carofl93

State is FL.

I live in a small town in the FL panhandle. I've been looking for a job for about 2 weeks now. They're pretty hard to come by in my own town, so I've been looking in the surrounding area of bigger towns. I put in an application for a job and got an email response stating the following:

"Thanks for your interest in our job. We have not had any luck with employees
hired from YourTown area due to the distance from YourTown to JobLocation.
Therefore, my wife and I have decided not to hire from that area. I wish you
good luck in your pursuit of a new job."

Is it legal for a business owner to not hire a qualified person simply because they've had bad luck with previous employees who weren't willing to make a commute?

Just wondering....I sent the man an email asking if he would reconsider my resume and stating that I am more than willing to make the commute.

Thanks,
Carol

mlane58

State is FL.

I live in a small town in the FL panhandle. I've been looking for a job for about 2 weeks now. They're pretty hard to come by in my own town, so I've been looking in the surrounding area of bigger towns. I put in an application for a job and got an email response stating the following:

"Thanks for your interest in our job. We have not had any luck with employees
hired from YourTown area due to the distance from YourTown to JobLocation.
Therefore, my wife and I have decided not to hire from that area. I wish you
good luck in your pursuit of a new job."

Is it legal for a business owner to not hire a qualified person simply because they've had bad luck with previous employees who weren't willing to make a commute?

Just wondering....I sent the man an email asking if he would reconsider my resume and stating that I am more than willing to make the commute.

Thanks,
Carol
It's discrimination, but not illegal discrimination. Not hiring someone because of a long commute is a valid reason IMO.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I sent the man an email asking if he would reconsider my resume and stating that I am more than willing to make the commute.

It can't hurt, but it might not help, and yes, this is a legal way of weeding out applications.

carofl93

Thanks CBG!

I looked at the EEOC site and didn't find anything, so I knew someone here would know.
Thanks for the info. I'm still hoping to hear back from the guy.

Carol

I just realized that MLane also replied....thank you to you as well! I love this place because there's always someone who can help :)

Last edited:

ecmst12

Look at it this way - you may be more than willing to make the commute now. But that's not to say that if a job offer close to home presented itself, you wouldn't be more than willing to quit the farther away job! If they're looking for folks that will stick around long term, you'd be a bad risk. The only thing I can think of that would change that would be if you'd be willing to relocate if things work out and you and the job get along. If so, tell them that :) They still might not hire you, but might be more pursuasive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">