• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starbar

Im a minority, older female, 43 years old in Hawaii with years of job experience in my field and was in training for a better position at work for about a year. I was told that a certain very young asian male with no prior experience in the field wanted that position. Once my predecessor left, and I started doing the job, the young asian male that my white boss favors over everyone was allowed to hire and train 2 very young white and asian females, with no prior experience in the field, on a computer program that would allow me to do my job more efficiently. He denied me training on this program for a year. They had me perform the duties of that position for several months while the 2 girls were trained on the program. Once training was done I was told to let them do my job and we should work together as a team to do the job because they werent proficient at it yet, but they are the only ones who were trained on how to use the program. I wrote an email to my white boss asking why I was passed over for career advancement while the training I asked for by email was given to younger girls of preferred ethnicity and that I feel like im being discriminated against by this young asian male. His response was that hes not going to give my email any attention because im just starting drama and that Im the one not being a team player by refusing to attend any training I was offered. He denied me training by email before the girls were hired. But now he says they invited me to be trained many times but that I refused it. Theres no evidence of that. Now he says the girls will train me and that I report to the younger asian male. This feels like discrimination. Is it?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, since you are a minority and so is the individual your boss has promoted, it's not racial discrimination. Since he has allowed other women to train, it's not gender discrimination.

Do you have any evidence that but for your age, you would have been allowed to train?

Note; I am not saying there's no discrimination; there may be. I'm saying that based on what you have posted, it's not CLEARLY illegal discrimination.

Bali Hai Again

Where I am employed HR is heavily involved in the hiring, promotion, discipline and termination process to ensure everything is done lawfully. The “white boss” or other does not make decisions in a vacuum. Anyone can bring a complaint to HR and there will be no retaliation for doing so.

quincy

starbar, do you know what qualifications the new hires brought to the job?

Hiring decisions are made based on several different factors. Experience is only one factor. For example, advanced education is one factor that can trump experience in some fields.

As cbg asked earlier, please provide the name of your state. The state name is requested of all posters to this forum. Thanks.

Just Blue

Im a minority, older female, with years of job experience in my field and was in training for a better position at work for about a year. I was told that a certain very young asian male with no prior experience in the field wanted that position. Once my predecessor left, and I started doing the job, the young asian male that my white boss favors over everyone was allowed to hire and train 2 very young white and asian females, with no prior experience in the field, on a computer program that would allow me to do my job more efficiently. He denied me training on this program for a year. They had me perform the duties of that position for several months while the 2 girls were trained on the program. Once training was done I was told to let them do my job and we should work together as a team to do the job because they werent proficient at it yet, but they are the only ones who were trained on how to use the program. I wrote an email to my white boss asking why I was passed over for career advancement while the training I asked for by email was given to younger girls of preferred ethnicity and that I feel like im being discriminated against by this young asian male. His response was that hes not going to give my email any attention because im just starting drama and that Im the one not being a team player by refusing to attend any training I was offered. He denied me training by email before the girls were hired. But now he says they invited me to be trained many times but that I refused it. Theres no evidence of that. Now he says the girls will train me and that I report to the younger asian male. This feels like discrimination. Is it?
What state?

starbar

Im a minority, older female, with years of job experience in my field and was in training for a better position at work for about a year. I was told that a certain very young asian male with no prior experience in the field wanted that position. Once my predecessor left, and I started doing the job, the young asian male that my white boss favors over everyone was allowed to hire and train 2 very young white and asian females, with no prior experience in the field, on a computer program that would allow me to do my job more efficiently. He denied me training on this program for a year. They had me perform the duties of that position for several months while the 2 girls were trained on the program. Once training was done I was told to let them do my job and we should work together as a team to do the job because they werent proficient at it yet, but they are the only ones who were trained on how to use the program. I wrote an email to my white boss asking why I was passed over for career advancement while the training I asked for by email was given to younger girls of preferred ethnicity and that I feel like im being discriminated against by this young asian male. His response was that hes not going to give my email any attention because im just starting drama and that Im the one not being a team player by refusing to attend any training I was offered. He denied me training by email before the girls were hired. But now he says they invited me to be trained many times but that I refused it. Theres no evidence of that. Now he says the girls will train me and that I report to the younger asian male. This feels like discrimination. Is it? So sorry, I’m in Hawaii. 43 years old.

starbar

starbar, do you know what qualifications the new hires brought to the job?

Hiring decisions are made based on several different factors. Experience is only one factor. For example, advanced education is one factor that can trump experience in some fields.

As cbg asked earlier, please provide the name of your state. The state name is requested of all posters to this forum. Thanks.
I was told by my boss that they were college students hired as project managers. I might mention that I’m dark skinned. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Bali Hai Again

I was told by my boss that they were college students hired as project managers. I might mention that I’m dark skinned. Not sure if that makes a difference.
And you were asked several times and failed to mention what STATE you are located. What is going to make a difference is that you are honest. People here are trying to help and they are not stupid.

adjusterjack

I’m in Hawaii. 43 years old.
As cbg pointed out it's not gender, it's not race, and now it seems like you are too young to claim age discrimination.

Seems to me that a shuffling of employees under the aegis of your boss has occurred. That happens in business. Employers have their favorites and the work culture changes, not for the better for some people. The job you like is no longer appealing.

I don't see any illegal discrimination going on.

And when your boss basically tells you "Suck it up" it's time to be seeking employment elsewhere.

Bali Hai Again

As cbg pointed out it's not gender, it's not race, and now it seems like you are too young to claim age discrimination.

Seems to me that a shuffling of employees under the aegis of your boss has occurred. That happens in business. Employers have their favorites and the work culture changes, not for the better for some people. The job you like is no longer appealing.

I don't see any illegal discrimination going on.

And when your boss basically tells you "Suck it up" it's time to be seeking employment elsewhere.
Agree!

quincy

Thank you for addressing our questions and providing some additional information.

It doesn’t sound to me that skin color (or age) played a role in the hiring decision. You are being offered training and you can choose to be a part of the new “team.” Your employer just chose someone else for the position you coveted, perhaps because he feels more comfortable with the other employee taking the lead.

Because you are still currently employed, you have the luxury of taking some time to look for another job. Many employers will prefer an experienced worker like you over someone whose work ethic has not been time-tested.

Good luck.

Bali Hai Again

Thank you for addressing our questions and providing some additional information.

It doesn’t sound to me that skin color (or age) played a role in the hiring decision. You are being offered training and you can choose to be a part of the new “team.” Your employer just chose someone else for the position you coveted, perhaps because he feels more comfortable with the other employee taking the lead.

Because you are still currently employed, you have the luxury of taking some time to look for another job. Many employers will prefer an experienced worker like you over someone whose work ethic has not been time-tested.

Good luck.
Very eloquently stated Quincy. I am learning a lot from you. There is still hope for me (I think).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">