• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fitnessmuse

What is the name of your state? California
this may belong in a different forum......
it happened because i foolishly sublet a townhouse from someone who i did not know well. it appears that this person is trying to gouge us. when we moved in-all the utilities were kept in his name-gas, power and cable. i wanted everything changed over but he wanted it to stay in his name. i thought it odd but didn't really pursue it further. he was supposed to send us the bills and we would reemburse him. during that time i was told once what the cable was, received 1 copy of a gas bill and paid a power bill that came to us quite by accident.. even though he never sent us anything further we paid amounts for cable, power and gas every month(based on the one copy of the gas bill we had, what he said the cable bill was-i have that in writing-and the power bill that came here instead of to where this person now resides)-clearly stating that this was payment for the gas, cable and power and the individual amounts. in all of that time we never heard differently. NOW he is saying that the amounts owed are much much higher. he has never sent anything to support this allegation and i have asked several times for copies of the bills. finally he has agreed to send copies as i was unwilling to discuss anything until i saw some documentation. he also made the statement that these copies would have "nothing altered"....he said this twice. if he actually does alter the amounts.....is this fraud? and does it even matter since the bills were in his name. i really just want to be done with this character-he calls and calls and calls.
thanks!
willow

south

Take the copies of the bill to the utility company if you think the amounts have been altered and ask them to compare, then pull the landlord up on it, I do not know if it is illegal to re-sell utilities maybe it is maybe its not ask the utility company, either way you will find out what the landlord is doing.

fitnessmuse said:
What is the name of your state? California
this may belong in a different forum......
it happened because i foolishly sublet a townhouse from someone who i did not know well. it appears that this person is trying to gouge us. when we moved in-all the utilities were kept in his name-gas, power and cable. i wanted everything changed over but he wanted it to stay in his name. i thought it odd but didn't really pursue it further. he was supposed to send us the bills and we would reemburse him. during that time i was told once what the cable was, received 1 copy of a gas bill and paid a power bill that came to us quite by accident.. even though he never sent us anything further we paid amounts for cable, power and gas every month(based on the one copy of the gas bill we had, what he said the cable bill was-i have that in writing-and the power bill that came here instead of to where this person now resides)-clearly stating that this was payment for the gas, cable and power and the individual amounts. in all of that time we never heard differently. NOW he is saying that the amounts owed are much much higher. he has never sent anything to support this allegation and i have asked several times for copies of the bills. finally he has agreed to send copies as i was unwilling to discuss anything until i saw some documentation. he also made the statement that these copies would have "nothing altered"....he said this twice. if he actually does alter the amounts.....is this fraud? and does it even matter since the bills were in his name. i really just want to be done with this character-he calls and calls and calls.
thanks!
willow

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">