• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rob26Smith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Recently my fiancé had foot surgery. I am the only one in the household so I need to help her get stuff or take her places. Next week my employer is having a training session which requires me to be away from home for 2 days. The trip there and back as well as one night in a hotel room will be paid for by the company. I discussed this scenario with my manager and initially they said there is no problem I can bring her with me so I can assist. A few days ago, they changed their tune. They said I have to room with an another coworker for the room to be paid, therefore I cannot bring my fiancé. Or, I can drive home the two days, however, the company will only pay for one trip not two trips that would require for 2 days. To me this seems illegal. Is it or my manager (employer) can do whatever they wish? Thank you for the advice

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Doesn't this fall under the EEOC Unlawful Disparate Treatment of Workers with Caregiving Responsibilities?
Not at all. First, there is nothing disparate about the treatment you are receiving. Second, your role wouldn't be considered that of a caregiver.

Rob26Smith

Can you please explain a little why I wouldn't fit under a caregiver?

And why would I pay for a work event? I didn't request the training session to be so far from my home so why would I pay extra to go to a training session my employer is holding. This makes no sense to me. I understand I'm theirs from 8 to 5, but after that it's my time. If they need me to go places that are out of my normal working condition don't they have to accommodate?

Zigner

Can you please explain a little why I wouldn't fit under a caregiver?

And why would I pay for a work event? I didn't request the training session to be so far from my home so why would I pay extra to go to a training session my employer is holding. This makes no sense to me. I understand I'm theirs from 8 to 5, but after that it's my time. If they need me to go places that are out of my normal working condition don't they have to accommodate?
They're paying for YOU. You want to bring a guest. As such, it's on YOU to pay for her lodging.

I would suggest that you look up what it actually means to be a caregiver under the EEOC regs...

Rob26Smith

I'm not brining a guest because I need company, I'm brining a guest because she needs my help. She had foot surgery so she can't really walk around.

ajkroy

I'm not brining a guest because I need company, I'm brining a guest because she needs my help. She had foot surgery so she can't really walk around.
It is not your employer's responsibility that your gf had foot surgery. Do you realize it would be the same situation if you were a single parent with small children? Hire someone to help her, if necessary.

Rob26Smith

It is not your employer's responsibility that your gf had foot surgery. Do you realize it would be the same situation if you were a single parent with small children? Hire someone to help her, if necessary.
so you're saying if I had small children it would be my responsibility to pay for someone to take care of them? This makes no sense. If I wasn't away from home for job related things I would be home taking care of them. So if someone takes me away from them wouldn't that be their responsibility? To me that seems wrong, but if those are the laws, those are the laws.

Zigner

so you're saying if I had small children it would be my responsibility to pay for someone to take care of them? This makes no sense. If I wasn't away from home for job related things I would be home taking care of them. So if someone takes me away from them wouldn't that be their responsibility? To me that seems wrong, but if those are the laws, those are the laws.
How are you being treated differently from other employees? You're not.

Rob26Smith

I'm being treated differently by them not providing the means for me to take care of family members. Maybe other employees have a different support system so they don't need what I need. This seems so absurd to me. They are preventing me from conducting my family duties, yet that's not illegal? I guess I'll never understand the logic behind that. Thank you all for the replies even though it wasn't the answer I expected.

Zigner

I'm being treated differently by them not providing the means for me to take care of family members. Maybe other employees have a different support system so they don't need what I need. This seems so absurd to me. They are preventing me from conducting my family duties, yet that's not illegal? I guess I'll never understand the logic behind that. Thank you all for the replies even though it wasn't the answer I expected.
Recently my fiancé had foot surgery.
What family members?

Furthermore, even if she WERE a family member, hers is not a disability as envisioned by the EEOC.

And, FURTHERMORE, they aren't treating you differently at all. They are treating you the same as they would any other employee in the same situation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) A fiancee is not a covered family member under the ADA.

2.) A short term condition is not covered under the ADA

3.) Since the ADA does not apply, there is no illegal discrimination

4.) Since there is no illegal discrimination, this is not illegal.

Next case, please.

xylene

Your employer is a shoddy cheapskate operation for requing you to share a room with a co-worker.

That's like a bad joke from a sitcom and not something a professional organization would do.

BUT

Honestly the best solution is to offer to pay your own room.

I would pay for my room before I have to share a room with a coworker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">