• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twikki

What is the name of your state? California

I was fired from a job in March of 2004. In December of 2005 I was approached by a woman who stated she was an attorney. She refused to name her client, however, she stated her client who was directly involved in my termination, was no longer with the company and was willing to make the whole thing "go away" for a payment of $25,000. I never gave out my address to anyone at the company and it is not listed in any directories paper or on line. The only way an employee of the company is if somebody who had access to my file pulled it and gave it out without my consent. Is any of this legal?

Beth3

In December of 2005 I was approached by a woman who stated she was an attorney. She refused to name her client, however, she stated her client who was directly involved in my termination, was no longer with the company and was willing to make the whole thing "go away" for a payment of $25,000. Make what whole thing go away? :confused: Are you saying that this person offered to change your employee records if you pay $25,000? (And how could the "client" do that if he or she is no longer with the employer???) Under no circumstances should you pay this money and if you have the contact info on this "attorney," you may want to report this to the police and your former employer. This sounds like a complete scam to me and perhaps even extortion.

The only way an employee of the company is if somebody who had access to my file pulled it and gave it out without my consent. Is any of this legal? Yes. Your employee file is not protected by any confidentialty or privacy laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">