• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Isn't this a violation of my right to privacy ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Contrarian

I'm in a Chicago suburb and live in a town home (I share a common wall with my neighbor) and own the building and land.

There is a city ordinance that requires on a yearly basis that the fire alarms are checked. This involves somebody coming into my house and check the fire alarm (that is connected to all of the houses in the row of townhomes) is working. They do this in the garage, basement, and second floor where the alarms are placed.

The reason for the law is fire safety (obviously) and protection of the connected neighbors since we share common walls. This is outsourced to a company that does fire inspections and alarm services.

Isn't this a violation of my right to privacy? I don't want to have to let people I don't know into my home. Can't I refuse this? I am tempted to put a notice on the door telling the city if they or any representative wishes to enter my home to please come back with a warrant.

lcannister

There is a city ordinance that requires
You answered your own question.

If you want to start a stink then have the ordinance changed, and good luck on that front. You could insist on notice I suppose or do they give you some notice?

Chicago has clamped down on such issues concerning multi family buildings, with good reason.

nextwife

Why should I, for example, be at risk of being burned out of my home due to lack of fire/smo0ke detectors in my neighbors adjacent home? WHAT is the big deal. Years ago, the meter readers all came in regularly. This sort of inspection is a small price to pay for keeping small children safer. Get over it.

Contrarian

This sort of inspection is a small price to pay for keeping small children safer. Get over it.
OH no no no don't even go there. "It's for the children." Any time our personal rights get stomped on in this country the immediate reply is that "it's for the children."

Just remember, SCOTUS took away your child's ability to speak his own thoughts outside of the school outside of school hours last week.... "for the children."

It's a small price to pay.. allowing somebody I don't know into my own home against my will is "for the children".

Ugh...

Contrarian

You answered your own question.

If you want to start a stink then have the ordinance changed, and good luck on that front. You could insist on notice I suppose or do they give you some notice?

Chicago has clamped down on such issues concerning multi family buildings, with good reason.
I have been given notice (I was reading over the notice and putting it my calendar as a reminder when I wondered how legal this ordinance is). It's a blanket notice to everyone.

If they want to have someone come into my house without my authorization then they should get a warrant and have due cause. End of story.

This country really has been going to hell the past 20 years.

seniorjudge

The fourth amendment has never covered a situation like this so no warrant is needed.

If you want to gripe, talk to Tom Jefferson and the boys.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have been given notice (I was reading over the notice and putting it my calendar as a reminder when I wondered how legal this ordinance is). It's a blanket notice to everyone.

If they want to have someone come into my house without my authorization then they should get a warrant and have due cause. End of story.

This country really has been going to hell the past 20 years.

They don't need a warrant. Why don't you try a little humble courtesy. Call the city or the agency who performs the inspections and ask when they'll be at your building. That way, you can make arrangements to either be home, or have someone of your choosing there instead. (you know, to hide all those drugs and guns that the government has been cracking down on for the last 20 years)

I'm in a Chicago suburb and live in a town home (I share a common wall with my neighbor) and own the building and land.

There is a city ordinance that requires on a yearly basis that the fire alarms are checked. This involves somebody coming into my house and check the fire alarm (that is connected to all of the houses in the row of townhomes) is working. They do this in the garage, basement, and second floor where the alarms are placed.

The reason for the law is fire safety (obviously) and protection of the connected neighbors since we share common walls. This is outsourced to a company that does fire inspections and alarm services.

Isn't this a violation of my right to privacy? I don't want to have to let people I don't know into my home. Can't I refuse this? I am tempted to put a notice on the door telling the city if they or any representative wishes to enter my home to please come back with a warrant.
Have you never had a cable guy or an appliance repair man come into your home?
They don't need a warrant. If you're that paranoid about the fire inpection, verify the ID of whoever comes into your home, and ask a friend or relative to be there with you when they come. Hide your valuables if you have any, and create clear paths to the spots that need to be checked.

justalayman

Have you never had a cable guy or an appliance repair man come into your home?
They don't need a warrant. If you're that paranoid about the fire inpection, verify the ID of whoever comes into your home, and ask a friend or relative to be there with you when they come. Hide your valuables if you have any, and create clear paths to the spots that need to be checked.
Come on now. That is a totally different situation. Those are people the resident invites into their home to perform a service requested. The do not demand entrance with the threat of legal action if rebuked.

Now, that makes me sound like I am on OP;s side regarding this but that would be an incorrect assumption.

Ever since that darn O'Leary cow started that fire so long ago Chicago has been paranoid regarding fires. I actually would suggest removal of all alarms and all ability to fight a fire and let it burn to the ground so they could start over. Old buildings are , well, they are simply old. Time for some new stuff. Just think of all those crap properties the residents of that new tallest building are going to look down on. It would be so nice for them to have a better view than what is now offered.

Anyway Contrarian, this is an administrative action and not a police action. They do not need a warrant other that what the ordinances give. Live with it, lobby to change it, or move. Those are the options avaialble. (BTW, only 1 and 3 are truly viable options)

Now, since you do own the building, I suspect you could require them to arrange a time for you or a representative to be there for the inspection. They would not have the right to break down the door for access and you cannot be required to give them a key for access.

Work with them. You have no real choice so you might as well just do it with as little intrusion into your life as possible.

lcannister

MOVE, if you don't like the things that are required in this type of setting.

Any time our personal rights get stomped on in this country
You make this statement and yet you would romp all over the rights of the other residents to be assured that fire equipment is indeed in working order?

Contrarian

I have had cable, phone, HVAC repair, home inspectors, etc in. These are people I asked to come in, not a government mandated intrusion against my personal desires.

The thing is, I just don't like people coming into my house. I'm a card-carrying tin foil hat paranoid conspiracy theorist libertarian nut job who likes his privacy. I don't like or trust the government at all. I don't wan them telling me they can come into my house to do an inspection. If my neighbors don't like it then THEY can move (I don't see anyone offering that alternative if they aren't happy that I prefer to maintain my own privacy and non governmental intrusions into my house). They can go join a love-in community that embraces the government to come and go as they please into their homes for all I care.

They are doing all the homes in the association over a few days. If I choose to do it on a non-scheduled day it'll cost me $150.

I just don't want to have to have somebody come into my home. Period. And no (to the others implying there is something illegal going on), I do not have a meth-lab, guns running, or human trafficking going on. Just because I don't want or trust or like the government intruding on my personal life doesn't mean I'm necessarily doing something evil, what a specious argument that is "If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about." Yeah... you keep telling yourselves that.

Wait till some ******* terrorist shoves some explosives up his ass while boarding a plane. Afterwards, I bet most americans would be okay with bending over for the government to get a nice healthy search since "It's for the children and if I'm not carrying anything up my anus, I have nothing to worry about."

I need to go move into a tiny little shack in montana.

Last edited:

lcannister

You live in Chicago YOU know the fire issues that exist and the crack down on such issues.

Get over it, it is not like they are trapsing through your housing unannounced. Someone wants to come in and test my fire alarms I'll make sure there is a pot of coffee on or some cold drinks in the frig.

Again you don't like the ordinance work toward changing it, but also as I said GOOD LUCK!

No one wants the govt anymore involved in their lives than necessary but let YOUR housing burn down because they did NOT check it regularly and you'd be crying to high heaven over getting them to replace it because they were not diligent in making sure the equipment was in order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">