• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Isn't this nice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CSO286

Yeh .I just seen this .

How will it effect his payments ?

I wonder .
Well, if he elect the payments, then that income will used to calculate a new obligation and support's gonna go up......

And if he elects the lump sum payment, I foresee mom filing for a mod and requesting X amount be placed in an escrow account to ensure future payments are made in a timely manner.

Last edited:

BL

Well, if he elect the payments, then that income will used to calculate a new obligation and support's gonna go up......

And if he elects the lump sum payment, I foresee mom filing for a for a mod and requesting X amount be placed in an escrow account to ensure future payments are made in a timely manner.
Maybe he should go for another beer run & a ticket ..

single317dad

Mom had better get what she can while it's there to get. This will be one of those guys you see on 20/20 in a few years in a special report about broke lottery winners.

CSO286

Mom had better get what she can while it's there to get. This will be one of those guys you see on 20/20 in a few years in a special report about broke lottery winners.
Too true.:rolleyes::cool:

And that's just it...If he elects the lump sum, then Mom's only option is to convince the courts to modify the court order and then require the the estimated support that would be owed until the child(ren) hits majority to be escrowed.

sandyclaus

“My family is a very humble family and we’re going to help each other out,” the freshly minted millionaire said as he was presented with a giant yellow check.
Yeah. I wonder how much he spent every week on lottery tickets, and those "couple of beers". You'd think he'd have curtailed his discretionary spending in order to use what he had to pay his past due support. At least we would have hoped so.

I'd be surprised that he would hand over ANYTHING more than the outstanding arrears voluntarily. Once the lottery winnings are gone, he's probably going to go back to stiffing the kids. So much for the promise to "help each other out".

BL

Arrest warrant issued in 2009 .

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/28/us/new-jersey-lottery-winner-child-support/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Last edited:

BL

http://news.msn.com/us/child-support-warrant-stayed-for-powerball-winner/

A judge has temporarily stayed a child support warrant issued for the New Jersey man who just won a $338 million Powerball jackpot.

Authorities say 44-year-old Pedro Quezada owes about $29,000 in back child support.

Passaic County Sheriff Richard Berdnik announced Saturday that the warrant has been stayed until 1:30 p.m. Monday, when Quezada is due to appear before state Superior Court Judge Ernest Caposela in Paterson.

Quezada claimed a lump-sum payment on Tuesday worth $221 million, or about $152 million after taxes. Sheriff's department spokesman Bill Maer says the state Lottery Division generally satisfies such judgments before winnings are released.

The unpaid child support payments go back to 2009. It's not known which of Quezada's five children are covered under the payments.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
http://news.msn.com/us/child-support-warrant-stayed-for-powerball-winner/

A judge has temporarily stayed a child support warrant issued for the New Jersey man who just won a $338 million Powerball jackpot.

Authorities say 44-year-old Pedro Quezada owes about $29,000 in back child support.

Passaic County Sheriff Richard Berdnik announced Saturday that the warrant has been stayed until 1:30 p.m. Monday, when Quezada is due to appear before state Superior Court Judge Ernest Caposela in Paterson.

Quezada claimed a lump-sum payment on Tuesday worth $221 million, or about $152 million after taxes. Sheriff's department spokesman Bill Maer says the state Lottery Division generally satisfies such judgments before winnings are released.

The unpaid child support payments go back to 2009. It's not known which of Quezada's five children are covered under the payments.
I hope the judge orders that part of his winnings be set aside in an escrow account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">