• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with the Lanlord's Maintenance Guy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kvk5va

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am living in the apartment building that my landlord owns and he has his own repair guy that assists us. He is treating us poorly. He is always drinking, his son sometimes goes in the basement below us and smokes weed, and the smell of it is unbearable to me. When we first moved in, our bathroom door knob wasn't working- basically didn't exist, and we were not able to close the bathroom door. Nonetheless to say that person I moved in with is male, and I am a female. It took him 6- months to get us a door. One day, we had an issue with the leaking in the bathroom. He came in to fix it without telling us ever when we should expect him in the apartment. He would always say, I will come and go when I can. He was completely re-doing the bathroom, and in the process of it, he left the bathroom wall exposed. He took off all the tiles and broke the cement and all we could see was the basement wall and pipes. I was afraid that the rats will come since we are living in the area that has a lot of restaurants and rats. One night, I heard a chewing awful noise in my bedroom, a noise of a mouse or a rat. We called the landlord to notify him, and then his maintenance guy called me to tell me that I didn't really see the mouse which makes my response not valid. But the way he said that was with an awful tone and tension and angr. I told him that none of that would have had happened if he covered the bathroom wall behind the toilet. The maintenance guy was angry. Landlord was negotiating with us as his guy as well that we don't really need infestation control to come in. I insisted, and the infestation guy came and patched some holes in our apartment and set up traps. And we moved on with our life. Then I got locked out of my apartment accidently -it was my fault as I forgot my keys. I called the maintenance guy and asked him if he could help me get into the apartment as my roommate was out of the state. He came and yelled at me: "Don't think I am doing this for free. I had to leave my job because you f**ked up. I asked him how much do I need to pay him for the visit and he said $25, which I did.
Today, I suspected some gas leakage in the apartment and called the National Grid emergency number. He came to inspect and also called our maintenance guy to come and unlock some doors in the basement for him. He was not happy because we called National Grid first instead of him. I didn't call him first because he is so rude to me every time he comes, and I thought of my own safety since he doesn't have tools to inspect potential hazard. His presence upsets me, as he is coming off as aggressive person. I really like the apartment I am living in now. I would like to her and advice of how to deal with this and what are my rights? I shouldn't feel threatened and scared of this person, but I feel like that. I feel like he is using his manpower and seeing me less and treating me in disrespectful manner because I am a female. Our rent agreement with the landlord expired, and we are living month to month. Can we still be protected even if we don't have an agreement?
I also don't feel like that I can't come to my landlord with any issue, because he can also be awfully rude so I just avoid him.

Last edited:

Silverplum

I am living in the apartment building that my landlord owns and he has his own repair guy that assists us. He is treating us poorly. He is always drinking, his son sometimes goes in the basement below us and smokes weed, and the smell of it is unbearable to me. When we first moved in, our bathroom door knob wasn't working- basically didn't exist, and we were not able to close the bathroom door. Nonetheless to say that person I moved in with is male, and I am a female. It took him 6- months to get us a door. One day, we had an issue with the leaking in the bathroom. He came in to fix it without telling us ever when we should expect him in the apartment. He would always say, I will come and go when I can. He was completely re-doing the bathroom, and in the process of it, he left the bathroom wall exposed. He took off all the tiles and broke the cement and all we could see was the basement wall and pipes. I was afraid that the rats will come since we are living in the area that has a lot of restaurants and rats. One night, I heard a chewing awful noise in my bedroom, a noise of a mouse or a rat. We called the landlord to notify him, and then his maintenance guy called me to tell me that I didn't really see the mouse which makes my response not valid. But the way he said that was with an awful tone and tension and angr. I told him that none of that would have had happened if he covered the bathroom wall behind the toilet. The maintenance guy was angry. Landlord was negotiating with us as his guy as well that we don't really need infestation control to come in. I insisted, and the infestation guy came and patched some holes in our apartment and set up traps. And we moved on with our life. Then I got locked out of my apartment accidently -it was my fault as I forgot my keys. I called the maintenance guy and asked him if he could help me get into the apartment as my roommate was out of the state. He came and yelled at me: "Don't think I am doing this for free. I had to leave my job because you f**ked up. I asked him how much do I need to pay him for the visit and he said $25, which I did.
Today, I suspected some gas leakage in the apartment and called the National Grid emergency number. He came to inspect and also called our maintenance guy to come and unlock some doors in the basement for him. He was not happy because we called National Grid first instead of him. I didn't call him first because he is so rude to me every time he comes, and I thought of my own safety since he doesn't have tools to inspect potential hazard. His presence upsets me, as he is coming off as aggressive person. I really like the apartment I am living in now. I would like to her and advice of how to deal with this and what are my rights? I shouldn't feel threatened and scared of this person, but I feel like that. I feel like he is using his manpower and seeing me less and treating me in disrespectful manner because I am a female. Our rent agreement with the landlord expired, and we are living month to month. Can we still be protected even if we don't have an agreement?
I also don't feel like that I can't come to my landlord with any issue, because he can also be awfully rude so I just avoid him.
With no lease, your landlord can end your arrangement with a simple notice.

If you can't get along with people, maybe you should buy your own home or carefully interview future potential landlords.

kim1386x2

I really like the apartment I am living in now. I would like to her and advice of how to deal with this and what are my rights?
people can be rude and mean. they are alowed to be, you have no "right" to people treating you the way you want them to. you cant change people, just the way you react to it. maybe you can try ignoring the rudeness.

shouldn't feel threatened and scared of this person, but I feel like that. I feel like he is using his manpower and seeing me less and treating me in disrespectful manner because I am a female.
this is something you are going to need to come to terms with as a woman. again, you cant make anyone treat you respectfully. you wrote alot and i read the whole thing, besides yelling at you he hasnt done anything threatining or scary. you are just sensitive.

Our rent agreement with the landlord expired, and we are living month to month. Can we still be protected even if we don't have an agreement?
protected against what exactly. currently your agreement is month to month and you are protected against him throwing you and your stuff out without notice, but depending on what your state says about it the notice period can be as short as 30 days.

you are also protected against unsafe unsanitary conditions, and you have a right to demand that the landlord has to provide that, but if he doesnt then you have the option to move out. unfortunately you arent protected against him raising the rent if he doesnt like you. which is a common tactic to make someone move without the whole process.

also don't feel like that I can't come to my landlord with any issue, because he can also be awfully rude so I just avoid him.
well, you can communicate your complaints and requests only in writing, that way he knows you are serious , theres a paper trail of what your complaints are and how long it takes him to remedy your concerns, and if you only accept responses to also be in writing which might make you feel better.

please note if he doesnt like it, then he can ask you (at first) to move out or raise your rent.

may i sugest youpick your battles carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">