• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with Towing Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaundue

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hello all,

I previously asked about an accident I had and I appreciate the help. It has been hard to figure everything out but I think I’m finally close to a concluding stage.

Unfortunately though, I have been made aware of some other issues regarding the accident. The Towing company that recovered my car has sent in a charge of $130 a day for storage, reaching a staggering amount that may not even be what the car is worth. It seems completely unreasonable and I am unsure if this is even legal at that point.

Searches online have shown me this is a frequent issue, especially when the car was towed for breaking the law. But I am unable to find any clear answers on it. It seems that a lot of people state around $25 a day is what they are receiving, which at this point seems reasonable. For more information, the police were the ones who called the towing company, as it was blocking an interstate exit. I am in the state of Missouri, where it says “Reasonable storage charges not exceeding those for consensual tows” but this is unclear to me and only leaves myself with more questions. The local government also does not appear to have anything regarding the subject.

If there’s any advice or information that I’m missing, please let me know.

adjusterjack

Should have just added to the original post. But, OK, I'll provide the link so others can read it.

Non-injury Automobile Accident where I was not at fault | Forum.FreeAdvice.com

Internet searches are generally useless as is anything people "tell" you. The place to look is the applicable statute which starts at 304.153.

Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 304 (2022) - Traffic Regulations :: 2022 Missouri Revised Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

I don't have the time to read all of it so I don't know if it will help you with the towing fees.

Other than it doesn't really matter who called the towing company, it's your car, it had to be removed, and you are responsible for the charges.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hello all,

I previously asked about an accident I had and I appreciate the help. It has been hard to figure everything out but I think I’m finally close to a concluding stage.

Unfortunately though, I have been made aware of some other issues regarding the accident. The Towing company that recovered my car has sent in a charge of $130 a day for storage, reaching a staggering amount that may not even be what the car is worth. It seems completely unreasonable and I am unsure if this is even legal at that point.

Searches online have shown me this is a frequent issue, especially when the car was towed for breaking the law. But I am unable to find any clear answers on it. It seems that a lot of people state around $25 a day is what they are receiving, which at this point seems reasonable. For more information, the police were the ones who called the towing company, as it was blocking an interstate exit. I am in the state of Missouri, where it says “Reasonable storage charges not exceeding those for consensual tows” but this is unclear to me and only leaves myself with more questions. The local government also does not appear to have anything regarding the subject.

If there’s any advice or information that I’m missing, please let me know.
Is your car salvageable? If it is, you can have it towed to a car repair shop. Keeping it on the tow lot is the most expensive option.

If the other driver was at fault in the accident, you can sue to recover all of your costs, including the tow and storage fees.

“Reasonable” will be what is typically charged for a tow and storage when a car owner has in advance requested a tow and storage. The fees should not be inflated simply because the owner of the vehicle did not consent to the tow (e.g., a police officer ordered the tow). I don’t know what “people” told you $25/day was reasonable but I think $25/day is unrealistically low for a storage yard.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the other driver was at fault in the accident, you can sue to recover all of your costs, including the tow and storage fees.
With the caveat that the OP would have a duty to mitigate their damages. They cannot just let the car sit there for an unreasonable period of time and expect the other party to pay for it.

quincy

With the caveat that the OP would have a duty to mitigate their damages. They cannot just let the car sit there for an unreasonable period of time and expect the other party to pay for it.
Yes. In my opinion, leaving the vehicle in the storage yard is foolish. Even though shaundue can add tow and storage fees to the damages he seeks in any lawsuit he decides to pursue against the other driver, there is no guarantee his lawsuit will be successful. And if he waits too long to take his vehicle from storage, he can lose title to the vehicle (under abandoned property laws).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">