• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues not being resolved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thelizzy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have lived at my residence in PA since May of 2008.

I rent at the rate of $450 a month, with $100 added on for utilities (which are in the landlord's name).

I do not have a written lease. My lease is verbal only. I did not pay a security deposit to live here.

The issues:

1. I have not had hot water in almost 6 weeks. I therefore have been showering next door at my landlord's house (he lives in the attached duplex), washing my face/brushing my teeth with cold water. I also cannot run the dishwasher or wash dishes.

2. For the past approximately week or so, my washer/dryer has been pulled out of their enclave (presumably to fix the problem with the hot water), rendering it unusable.

3. As of today, the upstairs bathroom (the only bathroom in my house) has minimal water pressure. My landlord came over today to presumably "fix" the issues going on. The result was the faucet head was removed (and I cannot get it back in) and now water sprays everywhere but into the sink when turned on. Also, 50% of the floor in the bathroom is covered in water, soaking the two bath mats in there, and the bathroom cabinet under the sink is waterlogged.

4. This entire winter, the heating system did not function. I was told first to just "put a pot of water on to boil, that'll help to heat it up". I was then informed that the heat was malfunctioning due to the amount of dust in my house (I am, admittedly, not the cleanest person, though I am far from being, say, a hoarder). After cleaning the house thoroughly, the heat was still not fixed. I went through the entire winter using space heaters and the stove and/or oven to keep warm.

I am at a loss as to how to progress. Countless reminders to my landlord have warranted no action on his part, or, as stated above, action that results in additional inconvenience.

I have not yet paid him rent for the month of June (though I do have it), because I am very frustrated that I am paying $550 a month to live in a place where I cannot shower or do laundry.

I am a very non-confrontational person, and have had a good interpersonal relationship with my landlord up to this point. He has been very understanding when my rent has been a few days late. I am having a very hard time standing up and being, well, b!tchy, to someone who I feel has helped me out.

I am currently unemployed. I have a new job that I start on June 28th which will, eventually, give me the money to move out of here (I am hoping to do so in the fall).

In the meantime, what course of action can i take without being a jerk? This guy really helped me when I needed a place to stay quickly when I got divorced, and he does not mind my dog, especially given that she is a pit bull.

Any advice you can offer would be helpful.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

Unless you start being a "jerk" your landlord has no incentive to fix anything.

Your biggest concern should be the lack of hot water. What's the story with this? Did the hot water heater go out and he's not planning on either fixing or replacing this?

The requirement that a landlord provide a source of hot water is fairly basic in all states. Same with some source of heat. The washer and dryer are not a "requirement" that a landlord provide.

Contact your local code enforcement first thing Monday regarding the lack of hot water.

Gail

thelizzy

The hot water just... went out. He's not sure of what the problem is. When it originally went out, he said it would be a day or two until he got a plumber here. Fine. But he has yet to call one, instead working on fixing it with his father, who is up visiting from Florida in order to help him with some tax issues.

Gail in Georgia

After six weeks, it should be pretty obvious the guy can't fix his way out of a paper bag in regards to a hot water heater...and it's time for him to call a plumber to either fix it or replace it.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">