• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Item not written in contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dino966

I enrolled in a private college that offers a bach. degree in 3 years. When I spoke with an admissions rep, she informed me that the school would be accredited by the WASC. She informed me of this after I had asked her if the degree and credits that I earn would be transferable to a university such as UCLA, USC etc. Those schools are members of the WASC.

I'm almost ready to graduate and still the school isn't accredited by the WASC and I've been told that though there were plans for this, the administration isn't going to pursue the accredidation any longer. This is because of the cost involved.

What are my remidies?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dino966 said:
I enrolled in a private college that offers a bach. degree in 3 years. When I spoke with an admissions rep, she informed me that the school would be accredited by the WASC. She informed me of this after I had asked her if the degree and credits that I earn would be transferable to a university such as UCLA, USC etc. Those schools are members of the WASC.

I'm almost ready to graduate and still the school isn't accredited by the WASC and I've been told that though there were plans for this, the administration isn't going to pursue the accredidation any longer. This is because of the cost involved.

What are my remidies?
My response:

Woa, little buckaroo! You have no remedies - - yet.

First, you've got to prove to me that the statement was even made to you; e.g., detrimental reliance, fraudulent inducement, negligent inducement, breach of contract, anticipatory breach of contract, or even plain old-fashioned negligence. And, you've got to prove to me that a contract even existed in the first place.

Once you can prove any or all of those allegations, then we'll discuss your remedies - like actual damages, or rescission of contract, based upon some or all of your "proofs". There are much more that we could discuss, but you get my drift.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 11-21-2000 at 12:25 AM]

D

Dino966

Offer of Proof

Thanks for your quick and insightful reply. As for being able to proove what was said to me, the rep has left the school employment and I may be able to get a statement from her. Also, I am one of approx. 35 students who also were told simularly about the specific accredidation and also when the college was expecting to receive the accredidation. Also, a current faculty member informed me that the reason why the WASC accredidation wasn't completed was because the owners of the college balked at the initial fee it would cost.

What I really want from the college is the accredidation that I was expecting. Do you think I have a fighting chance?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Offer of Proof

Dino966 said:
Thanks for your quick and insightful reply. As for being able to proove what was said to me, the rep has left the school employment and I may be able to get a statement from her. Also, I am one of approx. 35 students who also were told simularly about the specific accredidation and also when the college was expecting to receive the accredidation. Also, a current faculty member informed me that the reason why the WASC accredidation wasn't completed was because the owners of the college balked at the initial fee it would cost.

What I really want from the college is the accredidation that I was expecting. Do you think I have a fighting chance?
My response:

You really don't have much of a chance at obtaining the accredidation status from the college. They can't deliver something they don't have.

You have a better chance (though not much more) to obtain money damages for breach of contract, etc., like I mentioned.

The bigger problem is finding an attorney who'll take this case with the potential of such small damages. There's not much in the way of money for an attorney. However, you may find one if you're will to pay an hourly plus retainer fee.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dino966 said:
Thanks for your guidance. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)
My response:

You're entirely welcome. By the way, we don't have Thanksgiving in Lithuania. That is strictly an American Holiday. Here, we celebrate Festivus. We have dinner, and discuss how much we dislike each other, and then we use a bare aluminum pole to go hand-over-fist to the top, and whomever gets to the top first, gets to slug the other participant. There are no gifts exchanged. It's a very colorful holiday - - usually, and mostly, filled with red color from all the fistfighting.

Have a great Thanksgiving yourself.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">