• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jerry Springer-like situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

csporluck

This deals with the State of Illinois, and perhaps Federal laws.

My father recently suffered a stroke. The issue at hand is that my wife and I have been working on getting him his VA Benefits set up, namely service-connected disability raised to a higher percentage (which we did), and to get him into Social Security for Disability. Fortunately, we were able to, and rather quickly for the bureucracy.

Now our concern deals with a few things.. mostly his live-in girlfriend. She is intent on him marrying him, and this has all the working of a Springer Episode as well.. but here's the concerns...

My fathers girlfriend thinks if they get married that she won't only get his house, but that her and her offspring will get VA Benefits and Social Security...

I won't go into discussing this ladies character, or lack of it.. but lets say the only reason she has custody of her kid is because no one else will take him. She has had 20 jobs in the past year (no kidding), many times for assaulting bed-ridden patients. She has alot of debt, to include about a dozen court judgements that involve wage garnishments. I'm concern for many things dealing with this situation, but mostly I don't want my father to lose his house because he marries her. I'm not seeing any financial or social benefit to being legally married.. and they aren't religious either...

Thanks..

Dandy Don

Talk to someone at the Social Security office and the VA office about this and they will answer your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">