• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Legal Custody - Can CP move out of state without notifying NCP?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read more of your posts, you say this is in Norfolk? Now it has me wondering why such a long wait, perhaps because it is a new case. Which court room, hopefully for you, it is with Judge Williams, as he has a history of changing things up. Which would be normally to your advantage.

If you wish to talk more PM me.

ProSeMe

I read more of your posts, you say this is in Norfolk? Now it has me wondering why such a long wait, perhaps because it is a new case. Which court room, hopefully for you, it is with Judge Williams, as he has a history of changing things up. Which would be normally to your advantage.

If you wish to talk more PM me.
It is court room 3. When I filed, they said they were booked currently booking October court dates. When I got served, it gave me the mid-November date. My lawyer is really cool and talks to me a lot. Unfortunately, I can not afford him right now, but he told me that in Norfolk, the clerks usually give him any day that he wants. Maybe I should have hired him so that I could have gotten a earlier date.

She lived in an apartment. How could I find the land lord?

ProSeMe

Okay. I have now gotten an address for her my emailing a family member to plea to, however, she seem to have no intention of moving back or returning my child to the state of VA. Furthermore, what is making me REALLY upset is that my child will no longer be starting school this year as it should be. My child was in a head start program last year to start kindergarten this year. Now, it that state, my child can not start school until next year. I am afraid that with a court date so far away, my child's education will be compromised being in a different school system in a different state. Is there anything that I can do to speed it up?

I really like my lawyer (even though I REALLY have no money for him), but I am not sure if he might be "not aggressive enough". He is someone I REALLY trust though and out of all the previous lawyers I have ever used, he is almost a friend the extent to which I like him. I am in school and I am currently living with my girlfriend and living off my credit card until I finish school this year, so I really have no money to hire the lawyer, but if it will give me a earlier court date and a quicker shot at getting my child back, I might try to borrow some more money to pay for it. I am not sure how my financial situation might affect custody though. I have really good career path though, so I will be able to get a job once I finish this year, its just a rough patch right now. I do not want to loose my child forever to a different state because I didnt act fast.

I am currently going to file the "Motion for Show Cause" on Tuesday, however, what can I file to get an emergency hearing? Or could my lawyer get an emergency hearing in a situation which I could not? He always brags to me how much he likes Norfolk court because the give him whatever court date he wants. I really do not have the money right now to hire him, but if it has to be done, it just have to be done.

gr8rn

As far as your daughter starting Kindergarten a year later, I really don't see her education being compromised too much by waiting a year. I would not worry too much about that.

Congratulations on finding her address. That's a giant leap as far as moving forward. If you have a way to borrow the money, hire your attorney to help you. This really isn't the time to "proseme", yanno? You want to get the best representation in court, and an attorney is the best bet, especially in a situation like this.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but really, you have been blessed by the GODs by obtaining her address. Now is the time to wake the sleeping giant, retain an attorney (he sounds like a keeper) and get this done.

ProSeMe

I have hired my attorney since the last time I was here. I filed for "motion to show cause", and it is scheduled for the same court date that I had before. I am going to be severely broke since I have been paying for them from my credit card.

I am now wondering if I made the right decision. My attorney said that I would have to file for custody based on "drastic change of circumstances" being that she just got up and moved and I can no longer see my child regularly, and have not since she moved to a different state.

I am not sure if I made the right decision to hire the attorney. I am not trying to "take my child" away from her mother, but I do need my child to be returned to the state. Does this sound like the correct way for the attorney to proceed? He is saying that I can not get my child returned to the state unless I file for custody. This is where the cost get expensive and where I really dont have the money right now, but I really do not want to loose out on the opportunity to get my child to be returned.

The reason I went with him was because:
1) I wanted an earlier court date, which he was NOT successful in doing
2) He said that he could get the mom's address from DSS to serve her, whereas I would not be able to get this information from them.

Since he is "good to me" as a lawyer, I am trying to not piss him off by asking too much questions, but I haven't heard anything new from him since I hired him about 2 weeks ago. I am wondering how much help is he going to be for me.

I am really skeptical if I can win a custody case with limited money for lawyer. I can more than adequately take care of my child, but I really would prefer to not "look like I am in a custody battle". I can present a good case why I would be a better parent, but I am not trying overstep my bounds. I want my child to have a good life, but I cant sit back and have her mom rip her away from me.
Do I stand a good chance being that my child's mom moved away?

BL

I have hired my attorney since the last time I was here. I filed for "motion to show cause", and it is scheduled for the same court date that I had before. I am going to be severely broke since I have been paying for them from my credit card.

I am now wondering if I made the right decision. My attorney said that I would have to file for custody based on "drastic change of circumstances" being that she just got up and moved and I can no longer see my child regularly, and have not since she moved to a different state.

I am not sure if I made the right decision to hire the attorney. I am not trying to "take my child" away from her mother, but I do need my child to be returned to the state. Does this sound like the correct way for the attorney to proceed? He is saying that I can not get my child returned to the state unless I file for custody. This is where the cost get expensive and where I really dont have the money right now, but I really do not want to loose out on the opportunity to get my child to be returned.

The reason I went with him was because:
1) I wanted an earlier court date, which he was NOT successful in doing
2) He said that he could get the mom's address from DSS to serve her, whereas I would not be able to get this information from them.

Since he is "good to me" as a lawyer, I am trying to not piss him off by asking too much questions, but I haven't heard anything new from him since I hired him about 2 weeks ago. I am wondering how much help is he going to be for me.

I am really skeptical if I can win a custody case with limited money for lawyer. I can more than adequately take care of my child, but I really would prefer to not "look like I am in a custody battle". I can present a good case why I would be a better parent, but I am not trying overstep my bounds. I want my child to have a good life, but I cant sit back and have her mom rip her away from me.
Do I stand a good chance being that my child's mom moved away?
In a nutshell you will need the lawyer . If at some point the lawyer is not being pd. any more and withdrawals before the court makes the decisions that could put you at a disadvantage .

Mom intentionally moved and secreting their whereabouts .It's not something to play sympathy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">