• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joran Van der Sloot if it was in US Could Future Arrest Be Used in Trial 4 Past Crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HiFi

I know you people don't like to answer hypotheticals but lets say Joran van der Sloot was a US citizen and he was suspected of killing Natalee Holloway on US soil but for whatever reason wasn't brought to trial. He now is arrested and charged with killing another woman, lets say this happened in the US and not Peru. My question is: 1. If Joran is tried in court now for the first crime can the fact that he was arrested for another murder 5 years later be introduced in court if he hasn't been tried yet? What if he has been tried?

2. Assume he is tried for the second murder and hasn't been tried for the first? Can anything relating to the first untried murder be brought up in Court?

I realize that laws outside of the US are different but I was just curious if neither past or future accusations can be introduced as evidence in US murder trials?

BOR

My question is: 1. If Joran is tried in court now for the first crime can the fact that he was arrested for another murder 5 years later be introduced in court if he hasn't been tried yet? What if he has been tried?

2. Assume he is tried for the second murder and hasn't been tried for the first? Can anything relating to the first untried murder be brought up in Court?

I realize that laws outside of the US are different but I was just curious if neither past or future accusations can be introduced as evidence in US murder trials?
In your last sentence is the KEY word; EVIDENCE.

Do the Rules of Evidence permit it to be entered?

Research that for a particular state.

cyjeff

Most states have also abolished the "year and a day" rule.

If I am not mistaken, the feds still follow it??
My memory tells me it was abolished at the federal level as well.

Won't be able to research it for a bit, but I am reasonably sure.

BOR

My memory tells me it was abolished at the federal level as well.

Won't be able to research it for a bit, but I am reasonably sure.
I do know the last state YAD rule case was a Tennesses one?

If I remember correctly, the fed case was named Ball/Black or such? I will look later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">