• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wl17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I have received a judgement about 2 years ago. But have not been able to collect any money. I am unable to locate the defendant.

I tried to hire a private investigator and have not been very successful. The defendant seems to be very sneaky with his contact information. What should I do about collecting the judgement? Can the court help me in any way? It is quite a large amount, so I don't want to just let it go.....

single317dad

Body attachments for civil contempt are effective. That remedy usually requires proper service and a contempt hearing, though. Good process servers are very good at finding people.

Other than that, most collectors just harass the debtor's family and friends until someone gives them up.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I have received a judgement about 2 years ago. But have not been able to collect any money. I am unable to locate the defendant.
I tried to hire a private investigator and have not been very successful. The defendant seems to be very sneaky with his contact information. What should I do about collecting the judgement? Can the court help me in any way? It is quite a large amount, so I don't want to just let it go.....
You could assign your judgment to someone who has experience collecting judgments.

wl17

It the body attachments something I can do on my own?

I did contact a collection agency. They referred me to hire a private investigator, but he is unable to find any information. I even contacted the police department (the defendant is using my contact info to collection agency), but they were unable to provide me with the latest details. Everything they could pull up are outdated information. So I feel really stuck right now......

Just Blue

It the body attachments something I can do on my own?

I did contact a collection agency. They referred me to hire a private investigator, but he is unable to find any information. I even contacted the police department (the defendant is using my contact info to collection agency), but they were unable to provide me with the latest details. Everything they could pull up are outdated information. So I feel really stuck right now......
You just might have to resign yourself to the fact that you may not be able to collect your judgement. BTW...How much is it? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">