• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement...now what do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamisaseam

What is the name of your state? WI

In the mid 90s I had two Sears accounts. When I was injured following a fall my short term disability paid off the Sears Plus account. Because I was unable to return to work and my husband is on SSI, money was/is tight. Last year we got a home equity loan then got copies of our credit reports from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. We contacted each creditor listed, negotiated a settlement and had the bank send a check. Unfortunately this was prior to finding this site and learning the proper way to do this to the full benefit of our credit.

Shortly after that we began getting calls from an attorney's office saying they were contacting us regarding a Sears account. We told them we'd paid it and sent copies of the Sears account we paid. They said that wasn't the account they had. The account paid by the disability insurance and I no longer have the paperwork to prove it was paid or when. Honestly, I didn't think I'd need it since I hadn't ever been contacted about it.

I continued to dispute it and was finally sent a summons. I faxed it to my attorney and heard no more about it until I got the letter from the court stating they had been granted a judgement. By then I'd found this site. I sent the company a letter requesting a validation of the debt, stating that I continue to dispute the validity as I had prior. Also, I filed a motion to vacate which was mailed back with a note from the judge telling me it was past the time limit. Apparently, for reasons I'm not aware of, my attorney didn't appear and didn't communicate with me.

Is there anything I can do at this point? The attorneys for the financial company who owns the "debt" haven't contacted me, although I did receive the return-receipt notice that they did receive my letter requesting validation. According to their records, the last payment was made on this account in 2002. The SOL in WI is 6 years, so that's not applicable in any way. I'm just at a loss here. We *tried to do the right thing...

SharonWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">