• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coalchunk

Hello, I am new to the forum and I live in Evansville, IN
A few months ago I found out that the home my Son and I have lived in for almost 18 yrs is being taken by the city. The landlord has refused to fix the property that the city has fined him for. Since finding this out I pulled my credit reports. I had a judgment that I was unaware of.The judgement is for a medical bill for a MRI I had on my back in 2008. When the hospital input my insurance ID they left of one number causing it to come back as my having no insurance coverage! Upon finding this out, I and the insurance company called the Attorney who is handling the judgement for the hospital. the attorney checked into why I was being held responsible for this bill in the first place since I was insured at the time and still am by the same insurance company. The attorney called the insurance back and said that, When the hospital input my insurance ID they left of one number causing it to come back as my having no insurance coverage! The insurance company called me saying the attorney said this would be provider write off and would be removed from my report.This is still showing on my reports but, is now showing as paid. Even though the attorney said this would be removed once they filed a Release and Satisfaction with the courts, it is still on my credit. I do have a Release and Satisfaction from the attorney. Is there anything I can do to have this removed? Right now it seems as if I had to have a judgment and be sued in a court before the hospital got their money, and that is not the case. I do have 3 other negatives showing on my report as well. one if for $191 I am working on taking care of it. one for $212. I am currently paying this off. the other for $1,212. for non returned cable equipment that I thought I had returned, I have in the past day found this equipment stored in a tote in a spare closet! I hope that they will remove this negative once the equipment is returned to them. That is all that is reporting on my reports.
I am open to any and all advice on what I should be doing to resolve these credit issues.I know the judgment being satisfied only changes the status on the reports as being paid. I am hoping that the circumstances that have surrounded the judgment and the way it was wrote of as a provider write off, but is showing as if I paid it will cause it to be able to be removed. I am hoping to get a FHA loan since I am on a very low fixed income.
Thank You for any advice.

bdancer

Paying does not remove the judgment. It just gets updated to show paid. It will age off 7 years or your state's statutory max, which ever is longer.

single317dad

Keep the release and satisfaction papers and provide them to any potential lender. Explain the situation to them when applying. Back up your story with a statement from your attorney and insurance company, if necessary.

Underwriters are people; they'll read all the information and take it into account during the approval process.

justalayman

The issue I see is; the provider surely sent the op
Multiple bills before suing. Then, when sued op was legally served but apparently failed to respond. Only after seeing this on their credit report did they seem to care enough of the issue to speak up.

I am surprised the judgement was noted as paid. There was no reason for the hospital to do that other than a desire to be overly courteous of the op.

So, judgement was valid and it being reported on the op's
Credit report is completely proper and understandable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">