• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BillyDP

I have a $16K judgment against me by my ex on a car. I have co signed two other car loans for family. Can my ex attach these cars?

adjusterjack

I have a $16K judgment against me by my ex on a car. I have co signed two other car loans for family. Can my ex attach these cars?
In addition to your state:

Is your name on any of the titles as an owner?

Or did you just sign the loan applications as guarantor of the loans?

zddoodah

I have a $16K judgment against me by my ex on a car.
Your ex-what? What does "on a car" mean in the context of this sentence?

I have co signed two other car loans for family. Can my ex attach these cars?
While judgment enforcement laws vary from state to state, seeking to enforce a civil money judgment against a vehicle is rarely, if ever, cost-effective. More importantly, co-signing a vehicle loan does not give you any ownership interest in the vehicle, so unless you also have ownership interests in these vehicles, it would not be possible.

Last edited:

quincy

Indiana. Not sure about the rest.
Thank you for providing your state name, BillyDP.

Are you a co-signer on the car loans or co-borrower on the car loans? A co-signer agrees to make the monthly payments if the car owner does not. A co-borrower shares both in the responsibility for making the car payments and in the ownership of the car.

Whether you are co-signer or co-borrower needs to be known to determine if the two cars can be used to satisfy the judgment against you.

LdiJ

Do you have an ownership interest in the cars? Are you on the title as well as cosigning the loans? If you just cosigned the loans, then no, your ex cannot attach the cars. However, if you are also on title, then it is possible that your ex can attach the cars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">