• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction of alimony laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

damore

I was common-law married in Texas, but I now live in Colorado and I'm filing for divorce in Colorado. Which alimony laws would apply to me? Texas, where I was married or Colorado, where I am divorcing?

nextwife

CO CAN grant you a divorce, but they would not have jurisdiction over marital assets outside CO or to grant alimony for a non CO marriage, and a STBX spouse who was never subject to CO marital law UNLESS THEY AGREE to CO jurisdiction.

http://www.colorado-family-law.com/colorado-jurisdiction.htm

Colorado Family Law Jurisdiction
Colorado Divorce & Legal Separation

Colorado has adopted the Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act, codified at 14-10-101, et seq. In order for Colorado to have subject matter jurisdiction to grant a dissolution, at least one spouse must have been domiciled in Colorado for the 90 day period prior to filing.

"Domicile" means more than merely living in the state of Colorado. It is the intent for Colorado to be that spouse's permanent residence. This most often affects military couples - a servicemember living in Colorado may not actually be domiciled here (look at the claimed home state on the LES as a starting point). Likewise, someone domiciled in Colorado who leaves the state strictly because of military service can still file in Colorado, even though he/she has not lived here for years.

Subject matter jurisdiction alone is not sufficient, however, to litigate all of the issues involving a Colorado divorce or legal separation. All that means is that the Colorado divorce court can (1) grant a divorce, (2) divide marital property located in Colorado, and (3) enter custody/parenting orders for children, if Colorado is their home state (six months residence).

Personal jurisdiction over the respondent spouse, and therefore the authority for the Colorado divorce court to divide property outside of Colorado and order the respondent spouse to pay maintenance or child support, requires one of the following:

1. Personal service on the respondent spouse within the state of Colorado (including a waiver of service),

2. Personal service anywhere, as long as the parties maintained their marital domicile in Colorado, and the petitioning spouse lived here continuously after the respondent spouse left the state (does NOT confer jurisdiction to divide property outside of Colorado, however), or

3. The respondent spouse consents to the Colorado divorce court exercising jurisdiction (requires affirmative consent, not simply the failure to object to jurisdiction).

So even though Colorado can grant a divorce with service outside of Colorado, or with service by publication, some of the issues will have to be reserved for later adjudication by a divorce court which has jurisdiction over the respondent spouse.

Colorado Paternity

Colorado has adopted the Uniform Parentage Act, codified at 19-4-101, et seq. Under that statute, and under the "Colorado long-arm statute" at 13-1-124, the Colorado paternity court has jurisdiction if the child or one of the parents lives in Colorado, and one of the following conditions is met:

1. Personal service on the respondent parent within the state of Colorado (including a waiver of service),

2. Personal service anywhere, if the child was conceived as a result of intercourse in the state of Colorado, or

3. The respondent parent consents to the Colorado paternity court exercising jurisdiction.

Colorado paternity jurisdiction means Colorado can adjudge paternity, order the child's birth certificate changed, and order child support and birthing costs. Under the UCCJEA, only the child's home state can adjudicate custody and parenting issues. If Colorado is the child's home state, the Colorado paternity judge can also determine those parenting issues.

Colorado Child Custody & Visitation

Colorado has adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), codified at C.R.S. 14-13-101, et seq. The statute provides that Colorado has jurisdiction to enter or modify parenting orders if one of the following conditions is met:

1. Colorado is the child's home state, which means the child has lived here with a parent or acting parent for the six-month period immediately preceding the filing of a Colorado child custody action (or for the child's life, if the child is less than six months old),

2. Colorado was the child's home state within six months prior to the filing of a custody action, and a parent/acting parent still lives in Colorado,

3. No other state has jurisdiction, or the child's home state has declined to exercise jurisdiction on the grounds that Colorado is a more convenient forum, and the child has a significant connection to Colorado,

4. Colorado initially entered parenting orders (e.g. a Colorado divorce or paternity action), and either the child or one of the parents has lived in Colorado continuously since then, or

5. Temporary emergency jurisdiction exists because the child is physically present in Colorado and has been abandoned or some other emergency, such as abuse, threatens the child.

Colorado Child Support

Colorado has adopted the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), codified at C.R.S. 14-5-101, et seq. That act allows Colorado divorce and family law courts to establish a child support order against a non-resident parent if one of the following conditions is met:

1. Personal service on the respondent parent within the state of Colorado (including a waiver of service),

2. The respondent parent consents to the Colorado child support proceeding exercising jurisdiction (including the failure to object to jurisdiction),

3. The respondent parent has previously resided in Colorado with the child,

4. The respondent parent previously resided in Colorado and provided prenatal support for the child,

5. The child resides in Colorado as a result of the respondent parent's acts or directives, or

6. The child was conceived as a result of intercourse in the state of Colorado.

Once a Colorado family law court has acquired jurisdiction to adjudicate child support, it retains continuing, exclusive jurisdiction to modify its order if Colorado remains the residence of the child or one of the parents, or if the parents consent to Colorado exercising continuing jurisdiction.

More Information

Colorado Revised Statutes online - view the Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act, Uniform Parentage Act, UCCJEA, UIFSA, and others.

www.cobar.org. An excellent September 2002 article entitled "Interstate Family Law Jurisdiction: Simplifying Complex Questions" by Judge Angela Arkin. Unfortunately you have to be a member of the Colorado Bar Association to view this article.

Last edited:

damore

I apologize for neglecting to thank you. For some reason I thought you had replied to my other post under the heading "Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters," where I did thank everyone for their replies. I do appreciate the time and advice everyone has given me. Thank you for looking up that statute for me. Please don't get angry at me. I completely understand that I need an attorney for my complicated situation. But like I said in my other post, I am a full-time student and have a very limited budget. I know nothing about divorce and sincerely want to learn, to make sure I know what I am getting myself into before I hire an attorney. Also, I am not even sure I have a case. My only intention on this forum is to understand if I am truely married and which state laws apply to me, now that I have lived in Colorado for a year. Once I know the laws, then I can make a knowledgable decision on whether to take out a loan for an attorney or just forget about the whole thing. I'm not trying to be greedy, but if you had right to assets and didn't pursue them wouldn't that be foolish? I just don't want to kick myself years down the road, if I don't pursue it, if in fact I am truely entitled to something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">