• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juristiction who has it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sometwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

If a child is conceived and born in TN and then the mother and father split and the mother moves to Missouri , the father stays in tennessee does Tennessee keep juristiction even if the mother files divorce papers first.

I was under the understanding that it was a state by state basis that it depended on if TN wanted to give up juristiction or not , whether they would allow missouri to take over. Mother has set up residency in Missouri at this point.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

If a child is conceived and born in TN and then the mother and father split and the mother moves to Missouri , the father stays in tennessee does Tennessee keep juristiction even if the mother files divorce papers first.

I was under the understanding that it was a state by state basis that it depended on if TN wanted to give up juristiction or not , whether they would allow missouri to take over. Mother has set up residency in Missouri at this point.
You deleted your first thread, after refusing to follow this forum's protocol. Do you really think you're going to get any help here now?? :eek: :rolleyes:

sometwo

This post has nothing to do with me is why I asked it. I wont ask anything to do with me again. Trust me.

This was for my sister , who doesnt have a computer and help with these issues.

Isis1

if mom and dad didn't have a child, then it could go both ways. is the child with mom or dad?

Isis1

You deleted your first thread, after refusing to follow this forum's protocol. Do you really think you're going to get any help here now?? :eek: :rolleyes:
i knew it had nothing to do with her own situation. she didn't refer to MOM as bio-mom. LOL.

sometwo

I would say since about the end of April .

The reason she left was the dad is on hydrocodone and promised he would stop taking it. He's addicted to it and wont get help. He never provided them a stable home either. They were always moving from one place to another and ended up living with his mother or grandmother all the time. His mother smokes constantly and this baby was in the middle. The baby is also allergic to wheat corn milk eggs and dust bunnies. He had breathing problems and definately didnt need to be in a smoke filled house. The dad is still currently living between his mom and grandma's house. The mother has let him see the baby and keep him for weeks and the babysitter here in Tn has said he has passed out on her couch after dropping the baby off before.

I want my sister to go ahead and file for divorce and get the visitation and everything worked out or somthing I really dont know what she should do at this point. I just maily was wondering the juristiction . I know TN laws pretty well but not MO.

CJane

If Mom has only lived in MO since April, Mom is not a resident of MO and cannot successfully file for divorce in this state.

Tell her to get her azz back home and do things the right way.

sometwo

She cant come back. She has nowhere to go if she comes back. Her family all lives there (except me) she was here with me when she met the father.

She told me that she can set up residency and file after 90 days. I dont know if that's true or not though.

Isis1

She cant come back. She has nowhere to go if she comes back. Her family all lives there (except me) she was here with me when she met the father.

She told me that she can set up residency and file after 90 days. I dont know if that's true or not though.
but the child's father resides here and the child's family is more important then mom's family. dad could file to have her bring the child back, or even worse mom could lose custody.

LdiJ

but the child's father resides here and the child's family is more important then mom's family. dad could file to have her bring the child back, or even worse mom could lose custody.
Well, that's possible but this dad doesn't seem all that motivated to file anything.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
how long has mom been living there.
Is - WHY do you continually answer third-party questions?!?!?! This poster's friend, relative, next-door neighbor, stranger she met on the street two hours ago can go to the library and use their computer to ask her own questions, knowing the facts of the case. Jeebus.

Isis1

because i am way too nosey for my own good :(. i was interested in what the OP considered "legal resident"

sometwo

The reason I ask the questions is because I have always done that and researched and everything for not only the child's case living in my home but helped with his little brother's case (when our family had custody of him for 6 years) and now my sister has come to me looking for answers because I know alot of the TN laws. I told her that I thought juristiction could go either way. I wasnt positive on that though.

Neither one seems to be doing anything and the baby is caught in the middle (19months old) I really dont know what to tell either of them. She cant finacially make it here without help. The father isnt really helping him. She's going after child support to get help but we all know how slow that can be. There she has family helping her (our mom who watches him and helps her buy stuff, and one of our sisters who babysits him so she doesnt have to send him to daycare and pay for all that) So there are more advantages for her to be there than here. She has a good job and her own place which the father can say neither. No job and no place . Last time my sister let the baby come visit she sent all diapers wipes everything because he said he didnt have any money to get any of that. My sister is providing everything at this point.

There is no way she can come back here and make it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">