• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just health insurance or dental & vision too?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparkleguitargr

He should be carrying whatever insurance is available to him that he had before. If the ex has similar available and is carrying it, she should be able to adjust what SHE is carrying because he is the primary responsible party for the insurance. You should count yourself lucky that she even carries any insurance on her son! My DH's ex refuses to carry any kind of insurance on her child (she has Blue Cross available through her job but also qualifies for Title 19 and Hawk-I) since DH is court ordered to carry insurance if it is available. Because the insurance available to my DH is not very good, we have over $13k in outstanding medical bills for his kiddo so far this year. (She had tubes put in her ears again.)

mmattox

This situation has nothing to do with me (the new wife) trying to nickel and dime the ex-wife, or with the fact that if she has money, she should pay for everything. I only said something about her being fine financially so that it didn't seem like my husband would think twice about this if she couldn't afford the dental and vision coverage. I'm sorry, but some people would, and my husband is not one of them. We just want to pay for what we are supposed to, unless it is a situation where my stepson would go without.

All we wanted to do is get the question answered as to what we are legally responsible to do, and I don't see anything wrong with that. It seems like people are so quick to judge a situation that they know nothing about. I am not trying to nickel and dime anyone. As a matter of fact, I was the one that started the whole ball rolling with having my stepson added to my health insurance through my employment since we decided to go with my insurance even though it is offered to my husband at his new job. My husband's ex-wife would have continued to carry him on her husband's insurance (yes, she has a new life also). She has been providing the coverage through her husband's insurance willingly because my husband agreed to let her move out of state with their son when she re-married, and she pretty much controls when he sees their son because she knows we cannot afford to take her to court for contempt.

My husband was carrying dental and vision when they divorced, but he was not specifically ordered to provide it. Anyways, the opinions on this seem to be divided. I am thinking that we will just cover him on all of it to avoid any problems down the road.

abstract99

I had the same thing written in my decree while I was in the military. The military does not cover much for vision so it was ok for the judge when my ex tried to request in court that I be held in contempt for not covering it for my daughter that wears glasses. In all honesty, I think that vision is actually a waste of money if he has to go to an outside provider since glasses at most cost 1-2 hundred and you only need to buy a pair no more than once a year. My argument to the judge was that it was actually more cost efficient to not have to pay for the insurance for vision (since it would have counted a a deduction to my child support and then lowered it) and just split the cost 50/50.

YOu also might want to check into your state laws because some states are now offering discounted insurance (or maybe even free) depending on certain factors, for kids.

Last edited:

xylene

mmattox said:
This situation has nothing to do with me (the new wife) trying to nickel and dime the ex-wife, or with the fact that if she has money, she should pay for everything.
Your ex husbands divorce decree is clear, you posted. I don't know you, and have no interest in how you run your life, beyond the question you raised.

My husband was carrying dental and vision when they divorced, but he was not specifically ordered to provide it.
He was SPECIFICALLY ordered to provide it.

"Respondent shall maintain current or similar health insurance on the minor child as long as said coverage is available to him through his employment."
He is to maintain the coverage "current or similar" he had at the time of divorce so long as his employment offers such coverage.

Your now wanting to see the health insurance as just the medical covergae is self serving, even if you don't see it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">