• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keep grandparents away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mcanton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mo

So I know grandparents have no rights.... Great.

My ex husband has become friends with my brother in laws. I no longer speak to my family because they couldn't keep my requested boundaries (ie don't invite my ex to neice and nephews parties and other family events)...

My parents are using my ex ( and he knows this and admitted it) to see our children. I have asked my parents to go through me if they want to see kids. My ex has agreed to not hang out with my parents but states he will remain friends with my brother in laws.

Recently my parents got my brother in laws to get my ex and kids over, turned into Christmas party. My ex was mad about it and claims he wasn't aware my parents or sisters were going to be present.
Can I get a restraining order for harrassment or parental alienation against my parents? Or no contact order?
Thoughts? I don't want my kids around my dysfunctional family. We have enough going on and finally marching down a good path without my family disrupting our almost peaceful living... As much as it can be. Thank you so much!

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mo

So I know grandparents have no rights.... Great.

My ex husband has become friends with my brother in laws. I no longer speak to my family because they couldn't keep my requested boundaries (ie don't invite my ex to neice and nephews parties and other family events)...

My parents are using my ex ( and he knows this and admitted it) to see our children. I have asked my parents to go through me if they want to see kids. My ex has agreed to not hang out with my parents but states he will remain friends with my brother in laws.

Recently my parents got my brother in laws to get my ex and kids over, turned into Christmas party. My ex was mad about it and claims he wasn't aware my parents or sisters were going to be present.
Can I get a restraining order for harrassment or parental alienation against my parents? Or no contact order?
Thoughts? I don't want my kids around my dysfunctional family. We have enough going on and finally marching down a good path without my family disrupting our almost peaceful living... As much as it can be. Thank you so much!

If Dad wants to be friends with your family members, he has that right, along with the right to take 'em to see your family members during his parenting time.

The reality is that there is no restraining order, no contact order and certainly no parental alienation.

It's out of your control and you can't stop Dad from contacting your family members.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If Dad wants to be friends with your family members, he has that right, along with the right to take 'em to see your family members during his parenting time.

The reality is that there is no restraining order, no contact order and certainly no parental alienation.

It's out of your control and you can't stop Dad from contacting your family members.
And those family members have every right to invite anyone THEY choose into their home. It is up to your ex how he handles it. And unless you can PROVE harm to the child? You're not going to get very far...

Proserpina

And those family members have every right to invite anyone THEY choose into their home. It is up to your ex how he handles it. And unless you can PROVE harm to the child? You're not going to get very far...

I swear, I've seen this thread (or variations thereof) about 20 times tonight.

Odd.

Mcanton

Thanks for the help! I was afraid of this.
Are no contact orders effective if I obtain one? Or is it merely a peice of paper?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Are no contact orders effective if I obtain one? Or is it merely a peice of paper?
Why do you think you'd get one? "I don't like my parents" is not a valid basis.

Proserpina

Reality check time:

If you start filing for NCOs willy nilly, the court is eventually going to look at you and decide this is nothing more than trying to thwart Dad's parenting time.

Are you wanting to become the NCP?

Mcanton

Willy Nilly.....or if i do nothing now, will they ask me why I didn't do anything until that point in the future?

Sounds like I need to legally leave it alone.... Ergh

Proserpina

Willy Nilly.....or if i do nothing now, will they ask me why I didn't do anything until that point in the future?

Sounds like I need to legally leave it alone.... Ergh

It doesn't even enter the equation. There is absolutely no evidence of wrongdoing.

And again, you need to tread very carefully here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">