• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kentucky Probate; reopen moms estate and become successor to father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My father passed away in 2014 in Kentucky without a will. Following his death, I completed a simple probate for his wife, (my mom), and it went very smoothly. Following his death, my mom received money for a lawsuit that contributed to his death. She passed away in 2020, and I was the administrator for her estate, which was settled in 2021. I just learned, via a 1099 in my name, that my late father has approximately $5,000 remaining in a fund held by this law firm. This firm is in NYC and has told me that in order to close the case and get the balance, I would need to reopen my mother's estate and then become the successor to my father's estate. Can you help or provide information if this is the correct way to do it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">