• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Known Epidural Failure - Before Emergency C-Section Incision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

This is getting to personal don't you think?
I digress...
Feel free also to make your point and stick to it, instead of editing and re-editing. This post now contains nothing of what you had written before, which I quoted.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it's too personal, it's because you brought it here.

I merely suggested adoption, since you were whining that you and the missus had intended to have more children...and implied she and/or you were now too squeamish to do so.

If that's too personal, then do forgive me for offering an obvious option. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why not take your hurt feelings to a mental health professional? A legal website can't help you with your hurt feelings. (And won't.)

lealea1005

billy2009;2153408That is standard? I really do not think so. If you say it is. THEN HOW? Where is your information coming from? How do you know? Im not claiming to know. I am asking. You are pronouncing the "accuracy" of people here. By who's authority ? There post count? I am not being unreasonable am I?[/QUOTE said:
It was determined a C-section was necessary and emergent when your wife's cervix failed to dilate past 7cm and the baby's heart rate decreased. The epidural decreases the acute pain, but the mother will still feel a lot of pressure. IMHO, that is what the staff....who were concerned with delivering a healthy baby...assumed was happening. When it became apparent your wife's epidural failed, she was appropriately given general anesthesia so your baby could be delivered, and assessed, immediately. Well within the standard of care.

How, may I ask, is this experience physically preventing you and your wife from having other children?

Last edited:

lya

Wrong - me and my wife were planing to have at least 2 more before this happened.
This damaged our life's forever.
You and your wife can have more children. Don't let this become a permanently damaging experience. If you and your wife shift your focus from OMG! to 'we can make it past this', all three of you will benefit.

You have no idea how hard it is to read and comprehend a lenghty post. I'm glad you found humor in the epistle thingy as it was meant as humor, not for you, but for the other longterm posters on this forum. Heck, I started to not even read it; but, ecmst12 had made the effort and survived to comment, so I followed suit. :)

Sometimes, we tend to jump in without first establishing the OP's baseline of knowledge about medmal claims. We may be guilty of having done so with you.

A medmal claim has four required elements, required being the operative term:

1) The professional must have a duty to the patient. (this element is met)

2) The professional must fail in his/her duty to the patient. (this element has yet to be established; establishing this element will require a review by one or more medical experts who have reviewed the medical/delivery records )

3) There must be damages that would not have occurred but for the act(s) of professional negligence. (this can only be determined after #2 has been established)

4) The damages must be of such significance as to pay for a medmal lawsuit and provide adequate compensation to the injured party. (It is this element that we do not believe your wife can meet. One medical expert's fees will be between $5-10,000. The attorney's fees will be 33% plus expenses over an approximate five-year period, which is how long a medmal lawsuit can take.

None of us are saying that what happened is OK with us, professionally or for entertainment purposes as this forum is described as being.

We are, perhaps clumsily, trying to tell you that although what happened may have been the result of professional negligence, the damages (which equals $ award) does not rise to the level of paying for a medmal lawsuit.

We are also trying to tell you that this does not have to become a permanently scarring event for you, your wife, or any member of your family. Only you and your wife can minimize the lasting effects of this traumatic experience.

lealea has my respect and so does ecmst, and so does longsally, and so do a very few others.

ecmst12

I am not a He.

I have a personal interest in law, and while I am not a nurse like Lea and Lya, I have many years of experience in the health insurance and healthcare industries. And I read and learn here, a lot.

I don't recall you posting that your wife suffered any physical damage which would prevent more children. If anything would make it risky, it would be the preecclampsia that she exhibited before labor was induced. A VBAC may or may not be a viable option for her but even if it is not, up to 3 c-secs are generally considered safe for mom to have, and some have more without problems.

I can't think of any damage that could be caused by anesthesia failure alone that would prevent her from having more children, either.

If you are merely referring to being traumatized by the experience and not WANTING to have more children, that is not going to be considered a compensable damage. ALL childbirths are traumatic to some degree. The experience is fresh in your minds now. That will fade in time and your biological imperatives will re-assert themselves. And you will find a new doctor/hospital which you like and trust, and you will get past it. The mind is very resilient and it will get better. You shouldn't be making any long term decisions based on how either of you feel right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">