• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land access request for putting in a pool.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

tweaked;3056657]We offered this guy to improve the drainage area between our two properties... At very least, we guarantee putting it back exactly the way it is (pre-contruction).
want to know the best part? If the drainage problem is because of something wrong with your land, you will still get to fix the drainage issue if the neighbor pushes it. If it gets worse, expect that demand to happen soon.

Maybe I was raised differently or something, but I don't see ANY issue with what we proposed to this guy. Naturally, some of you are just looking for something to say I'm in the wrong here (which is sort of what I expected when asking on this forum).
what you are in the wrong about is getting upset because they neighbor does not want to agree to your proposal. I have no problem with a person asking and of course offering to repair any damage but if refused, it's time to move on and find another way such as you have.

If you were in this guys situation, to where you are never here (once per year for maybe a month, if that), and someone asks to access two feet of your grass for the purpose of installing a pool on their property, what would you say?
I would say no just like the neighbor did. That is just how I am.

If they offer to put the grass (and ANYTHING else that may be damaged or altered in the process back in a better condition, or at least the same condition as it was), and you have a problem with that, then you are what I call a bad neighbor.
what I call a bad neighbor is one that demands to use my property for anything and then gets his panties in a bunch because I say no.

When it comes down to it, how is it harming him? It isn't.. not in any way, shape, or form.
it doesn't matter if it is harming him or not. It is his property. Beyond that, maybe he doesn't trust you for some reason and fears having to deal with an a hole neighbor that says he will fix the damage but when it comes time to do so, he refuses?
There is a word for such a difficult person to deal with, it starts with an A, and ends with a hole.
yes, I would say you are very hard to deal with.

I just look forward to the day where he needs a favor or has a request of me.
I suspect that day will never come.

154NH773

Why is it so difficult to see the other side's point of view? When ever I get annoyed with my neighbor(s), and I've had some difficult and extended legal battles with them, I try to step back and view the problem from their perspective. Sometimes it changes my mind, and sometimes it doesn't, but it always is a good exercise.

For example, I'll play the role of your neighbor;

I've owned this property for X-years, and the drainage has always concerned me. I may have even mentioned it to my old neighbor, but nothing has ever been resolved. It's a annoyance that's eaten at me for all these years. Now I've got a new young neighbor that wants to put a pool in his yard. I'm convinced that a pool would make things even worse. Damn, I wish there was some way I could prevent his putting in the pool unless the problem was finally resolved and corrected.
Hey, the neighbor just asked me if he could trespass on my property in order to install his pool. This a great opportunity to finally get something done to resolve MY drainage situation. I think I'll tell him my concerns and maybe he'll help me in getting something done about the drainage.
It seems like my new neighbor is unconcerned with my problem and all he can think about is his pool. He is callimg and writing more and more asking that I give him permission, but that doesn't fix my problem, so I guess I'll just ignore him. I'd like to be a nice guy, but he's all about himself and doesn't care about me, so screw him.

csi7

As a person who let their neighbor bring dirt in across our back property, with promises of making it right, which did not happen ... I would understand the neighbor saying no.

However, since you're changing your property, I'd be certain to take before pictures from ALL angles to prove that your property is NOT causing the drainage issue in the next door property. That was what helped us when code enforcement was called, the photos showed the differences that the dirt being brought in made to the property.

Enjoy your pool!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">