• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord alleging $2300 in damages, but will not provide anything to support... Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

Mo , reasonable wear and tear would be things like sun fading very dark floor vinyl, fibre window screening failing from age, unprotected outside corners of drywall surfaces showing paint that thinned from things brushing by , plastic light fixture lenses clouding with age. Your filling nail holes was reasonable & re touching them with paint the LL provided was reasonable, charging you for repainting is tough call , if unit had been repainted right before you moved in and you or roomate smoked cigs then yes repainting is fair because the smoke odor and staining were not normal wear and tear even if lease did not ban smoking in unit, OR if your style of cooking left the wall surfaces stained. HOW long did you live there ? Bottom line , I agree with BP If your LL has not followed the law take the LL to small claims court and let the court decide. If you chipped a tile yes its fair to bill you for replacing the tile.

mopatzde

Mo , reasonable wear and tear would be things like sun fading very dark floor vinyl, fibre window screening failing from age, unprotected outside corners of drywall surfaces showing paint that thinned from things brushing by , plastic light fixture lenses clouding with age. Your filling nail holes was reasonable & re touching them with paint the LL provided was reasonable, charging you for repainting is tough call , if unit had been repainted right before you moved in and you or roomate smoked cigs then yes repainting is fair because the smoke odor and staining were not normal wear and tear even if lease did not ban smoking in unit, OR if your style of cooking left the wall surfaces stained. HOW long did you live there ? Bottom line, I agree with BP If your LL has not followed the law take the LL to small claims court and let the court decide. If you chipped a tile yes its fair to bill you for replacing the tile.
Neither of us smoked, but we noticed after the paint dried (which the LL provided) was a different color than the original... We lived there for a year and I don't have a problem paying for the chipped tile or any other damages that he seems to think were there and were actually caused by us... I just want some proof that these aren't fictitious numbers he's created to pad his wallet. and aside from the mismatched paint that he gave us to use, there was no staining on the walls.

Banned_Princess

Neither of us smoked, but we noticed after the paint dried (which the LL provided) was a different color than the original... We lived there for a year and I don't have a problem paying for the chipped tile or any other damages that he seems to think were there and were actually caused by us... I just want some proof that these aren't fictitious numbers he's created to pad his wallet. and aside from the mismatched paint that he gave us to use, there was no staining on the walls.
Well that estimate for painting is outrageous. how big was the place?

Like I said, a lawsuit is relatively cheep (cheaper then 1700$) and easy, and at least then he will have to prove the damages, and what he actually paid to correct it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">