• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord did no repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Calif
My landlord did no repairs. The roof leaked and soaked the carpet. Landlord pulled up carpet and stated he would replace old carpet. He left wet carpet bunched up, cement and tacks exposed. This was 8 months ago. I have stepped on tacks drawing blood and tripped on carpet. It smells of mold. He has been reminded and keeps promising to get new carpet. A central vacuum was promised in lease. It never worked though I called up landlord and he promised to send a guy over to repair it. I had to buy a vacuum. He promised me a gardener every 3 months. I reminded him and he never sent one.(I am on 1.5 acres). I spent lots of money spraying weeds and insecticide. My lease is up. He verbally offered to renew lease at same amount. Next day I called the real estate agent and requested we talk about owner not abiding by lease and causing injury and costing me money. I asked to discuss a fair and reasonable compromise since the tacks and carpet made it impossible to live there. A few days later I was offered a renewal of lease at $50 more then old lease. Owner refused to negotiate, instead raised my rent! I gave 30 days notice and was told the carpet and drapes needed cleaning. They were not dirty! I lived there one year. I believe owner is being vindictive. I want my entire deposit back. It's over $3000. They are taking out $1000. I put my own money into repairing stuff owner promised to do but never did. How do I get my deposit back?

Gail in Georgia

You sue the landlord in court for what was kept out of your security deposit.

Did you notify your landlord IN WRITING of these repair issues? If so, did you keep copies of this documentation? Pictures? Both would be useful in a court.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">