• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord didn't cash check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fl_renter

What is the name of your state? Ga

We gave our landlord a check before we left on vacation the at the end of June and it still hasn't been cashed. When DH talked to them, he was told that they didn't want to cash it since we were on vacation and they thought we might need it. HUH?? I will gladly spend the money if they don't want but I would never spend my rent money on vacation. I am not quite sure what to do, I've never had someone not cash a check before.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just leave the money in your account for the LL to cash when you get back...not a big deal really.

Ask the LL to send you something in writing that he has received your check. That way he can't say that you didn't pay the July rent.

Fl_renter

Yeah, sorry about that, put in July and meant June.

My husband deals with them so I will have him get a receipt for that and each future check that we write to them.

Thanks

Who's Liable?

Yeah, sorry about that, put in July and meant June.

My husband deals with them so I will have him get a receipt for that and each future check that we write to them.

Thanks
While that was nice of the LL, it was not something he had to do. I would inform the LL that it was a nice gesture, but you have more than enough funds in your account to cover the rent while you were on vacation.

I would watch out for a late fee. The LL might have instilled a late fee thinking that the money wouldn't have been in your account while you were away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">