• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kklblue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I have lived in my place for over 6 years. I have rented from the same landlord and paid my rent. This place is slowly running down. I have repeatedly in writing asked him to replace and fix things. Last summer July 2011 the AC unit went. The old one was 17 years old according to the contracter and was beyond repair. The landlord used my damage deposit to pay for the new unit. When the contracter left, he did not seal the holes for the AC hoses around the house. I notified my landlord about this and he has yet to do something. Now mice are coming in.

The deck on the back of the house is no longer safe for more then 1 person.
The door to the laundry room is broken and falls off if you open/shut it.
The railing on the front steps is completely rotted away and standing there on its own no support.
The house needs to be sealed by the AC and in the garge.
Mice are coming in
Spiders galore.

I can't get my landlord to do anything. To make matters worse I think my landlord is in financial trouble, just from the hints he has given.

Any ideas on how I can get this stuff fixed or what to do.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I have lived in my place for over 6 years. I have rented from the same landlord and paid my rent. This place is slowly running down. I have repeatedly in writing asked him to replace and fix things. Last summer July 2011 the AC unit went. The old one was 17 years old according to the contracter and was beyond repair. The landlord used my damage deposit to pay for the new unit. When the contracter left, he did not seal the holes for the AC hoses around the house. I notified my landlord about this and he has yet to do something. Now mice are coming in.

The deck on the back of the house is no longer safe for more then 1 person.
The door to the laundry room is broken and falls off if you open/shut it.
The railing on the front steps is completely rotted away and standing there on its own no support.
The house needs to be sealed by the AC and in the garge.
Mice are coming in
Spiders galore.

I can't get my landlord to do anything. To make matters worse I think my landlord is in financial trouble, just from the hints he has given.

Any ideas on how I can get this stuff fixed or what to do.
Unfortunately, your only real solution is to give notice and move somewhere else. If he doesn't have the money to fix the home, then any other action would force him to give you notice.

kklblue

Unfortunately, your only real solution is to give notice and move somewhere else. If he doesn't have the money to fix the home, then any other action would force him to give you notice.
Thanks for your response. I was hoping there was a different answer. But sadly I think your right. Its quite an upheavel to have to move me and my kids because my landlord can't do his job.

Who's Liable?

First of all, why was your deposit used to replace the A/C unit? Unless you were found guilty of damaging the existing unit, the deposit is only to be used to repair damages caused by the tenant, NOT to replace old equipment.
You can call your local code/building inspector to determine if the place is habitable. They will give your LL a list of repair items and a time line.
I would advise taking pictures of everything in case you need it later.
you can also do a "repair and deduct" if your LL fails to respond in a timely manner, if your state allows this.

kklblue

My landlord told me shortly after replacing the AC unit that he didn't have the funds to fix it and was forced to use the damage deposit. I have suspected for a while that he has his finances stretched real thin and this seemed to support my opinion.

My lease expires October 31. I am not sure I can wait that long.

Thanks for the response. I will give it some thought about having it inspected.

Banned_Princess

My landlord told me shortly after replacing the AC unit that he didn't have the funds to fix it and was forced to use the damage deposit. I have suspected for a while that he has his finances stretched real thin and this seemed to support my opinion.

My lease expires October 31. I am not sure I can wait that long.

Thanks for the response. I will give it some thought about having it inspected.
If code enforcement finds the place is uninhabitable, they will make you move out right away, so use care when having code enforcement come by.

if they come, and demand LL make repairs, you will find it easier to get out of the lease.

you are likely going to have to sue him for the return of the deposit, it is a VERY good idea to take pictures of possible damage claims, and keep your complaints in letters to the LL. (all complaints in writing, to show you informed LL of issues.)

in the end, all of your options really come down to you moving.

KristinWard

Sounds like the landlord is broke. Legally he had no right to use the deposit to fix the AC unless he can prove that you were somehow at fault. Without money I doubt anything will get fixed. I'm going to have to agree that your best bet is to move out. If you can wait to the lease is up. If not you could take steps to have it legally broken, it definitely sounds like you have enough to work with. Make sure that you sent a notice to him about the repairs. I would also make a copy of any repair notice you send him. Also take lots of pictures, if he that broke and willing to use your deposit he may try to charge you for the damages. You never know and its better to be safe then sorry.

FarmerJ

Since your lease is not up til 10/31 its hard to say exactly what inspections would do if you called them. ( if your down in the cities with out a doubt inspections would write up safety related needs and in the end if LL could not comply then they would condemn ) If your in rural area like me where your TWP has no inspections desk After pulling teeth at Zoning if they wont do anything then I would suggest as very last resort if you really had to attempt to force repair of something maybe your TWP supervisor if asked will come out and help you with zoning person to get notice to LL. Other wise moving with proper notice may well be the best thing to do. you said your LL appears to be having money problems so this may well be a huge clue that he is in the slow slide to foreclosure ? you know when he fixed the AC , that was fine and dandy but what are you gonna do if its the furnace near the end of december , are you gonna run so many electric heaters that you have a 450.00 or so elect bill and still be living in a house that the owner just cant afford to repair , Id suggest its best to plan it out now by starting to look for places , if your in the cities theres plenty of places one can seek information and numerous assistance progs , if your not in the cities places like Lakes and Pines ( my area) may be of some assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">