• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants me out without explanation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LolaO

What is the name of your state? MD

I rented a townhome in September. Before I moved but after I had signed the lease and given a deposit, the landlord tried to get out of the lease. We worked things out and I moved in.

I noticed she is getting letters regarding the property, and I know she is in serious financial trouble, maybe foreclosure. She asked me several times to buy the property. Well earlier this month I had a problem with the heat. I wrote her an email saying there was no heat in the house, and she had promised to fix the problem in a previous phone call but had not acted on it. I also needed her mailing address again to send the rent check.

Without responding to the heat issue or the mailing address, she basically told me my lease in null and void. Totally out of the blue. She asked me again if I wanted to buy the house. Before I responded, she sent another message saying, my lease is null and void and I needed to be out by Jan. 31, 2008. Then on Christmas eve, her brother came knocking on my door telling me I had to be out, that he has another buyer who's interested if I am not interested--his daughter. But he said, he'll do me a "favor," see what I qualify for and he'll see if the mortgage company will "just give you the house." Huh? He also says his sister has filed for bankruptcy so I can't sue her. Are bankruptcy filings public information? I do not believe that for a second.

So I'm not done reeling from that when another letter comes from the landlord saying again, your lease is null and void. Be out by the 31st. I came back to work, to find four emails saying basically the same thing, all of them sent within 20-30 minutes of each other.

What is going on and what should I do? How should I respond to these letters? I am sure I have some protection, but I am quite tired of this harrassment. I feel a little betrayed. She told me she had previously rented the property to relatives who mismanaged the place. We got along, I paid my rent and keep the place up, now I am being stabbed in the back with no explanation from her. And clearly, I am in trouble...a month to find a new place (I have two small children and in the middle of a divorce, this is the last thing I need).

LolaO

A little clarification on the foreclosure issue. I spoke with her about it. She said she had worked out a repayment schedule with the mortgage company. She assured me things were fine, and I should discard those letters (none were from the actual mortgage company). She assured me that within six months things should be fine and she said "I am stronger than that, you don't need to worry." Then after she sent me the "get out" emails, she mentioned the mortgage company was no longer willing to work with her. Does that make sense to anyone?

As xylene said, as long as your lease term has not expired, you have the right to remain in the property as long as she owns it. That said, don't be surprised if you don't get an actual letter from the mortgage company that the house is being foreclosed on. If that happens, your lease is useless and you will be given a 30 day notice to vacate from that mortgage company. Until then, sit tight.

Cvillecpm

Pay attention to the mortgage letters/notices that are coming to her at the property. Ignore the brother and call the police if he shows up again...don't open the door and advise him THROUGH THE DOOR that you are dialing 911.

Check MD state laws on how to get the heat fixed - if you can repair and deduct or withhold rent for repair.

Your landlord appears to be in financial difficulties and if she does declare bankruptcy, you deposit will be gone; however, your lease will be valid until/unless the bank/mortgage company forecloses.

reggiebob

You will probably have more time than you realize. If she does provide you a 30 day eviction; you will be able to dispute the eviction. She would be liable for attorney fees and court costs. Which she would lose. Once the 30 days were up she would have to go to the court hse and get a warrant to have you evicted which would take an additional 14 days min. If you decided to find another place she could be sued for punitive damages and additional costs you endured. I recall an article about property being foreclosed on and I will seek the information and respond....evictions without documentation are meaningless!! Must be written so until then Sit tight.

FYI.. Do you know who is carrying the mortgage?? Don't contact them at this point but it might be needed at a later time.

Where the lease predates the mortgage, a foreclosure sale will generally not end the lease.

The Maryland Code provides that the purchaser at a mortgage foreclosure sale has the same rights and remedies against the tenants of the mortgagor (tenants' original landlord) as the mortgagor had, and the tenants have the same rights and remedies against the purchaser as they had against their original landlord on the day the mortgage was recorded. (Maryland Code, Real Property, Section 7-10

I think I would sit until I got any eviction notices then I would write your landlord and explain that you are going to hire a lawyer and that you feel you are being evicted unjustly. I would offer her a buyout of your lease agreement say if you have 6 months remaining at $800.00 I would allow her to break the lease for $4800.00 plus your deposit refund in full. If she really has a buyer she may except this to get it done which may be good for you if not then just get the lawyer and she will pay more and you eventually will have to move worse case scenario. Be sure to mention that she may be receiving your attorney fees. See if your attorney can set up an account in escrow (for rents to be paid) through the courts until this matter is resolved.

Last edited:

LolaO

Thank you all so much for the responses. This helps a bunch. Please do post that article as soon as you locate it. Appreciate it. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">