• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlords liablilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?AL

My sister-in-law just had a problem where her apartment complex issued out decals for the residents. She works will they are open, and they are closed when she gets home. The couple of times that she tried to go get the decal from them, they where not in the office. In fact she said the girl that works there is hardley ever in the office.

She apparently had 24 hours to pick up the decal and she tried with failed attempts. And because she didn't have a decal on her car they towed it. She went to argue that they should have to pay for the car. The home office says that they gave her time to get a decal it is her fault she didn't have one.

How is this possible. Is there something she can do?

seniorjudge

graciousduncan7 said:

My sister-in-law just had a problem where her apartment complex issued out decals for the residents. She works will they are open, and they are closed when she gets home. The couple of times that she tried to go get the decal from them, they where not in the office. In fact she said the girl that works there is hardley ever in the office.

She apparently had 24 hours to pick up the decal and she tried with failed attempts. And because she didn't have a decal on her car they towed it. She went to argue that they should have to pay for the car. The home office says that they gave her time to get a decal it is her fault she didn't have one.

Q: Is there something she can do?

A: Get a decal.

south

Have you tried calling the decal police? If not try sending a friend to pick up the decal.

graciousduncan7 said:

Clear up!!

graciousduncan7 said:

Maybe I didn't make my self clear. She already got her car towed, she has a decal, we are trying to see if they can be made to pay for the car being towed since there was no one ever there for her to pick up the decal in the first place to stop her car from being towed. Hopeful this was clear enough.

Who's Liable?

The answers given were clear enough... If your sister-in-law did not want her car towed, she should have gotten the decal...

It is not the managments responsibility to make sure your SIL gets one...

Your SIL should have stayed until she had one before returning to work...

HomeGuru

Who's Liable? said:
The answers given were clear enough... If your sister-in-law did not want her car towed, she should have gotten the decal...

**A: sounds clear to me.

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
yes I agree....get a decal or get towed. It is a very simple concept.
Guess it is not clear after all:

graciousduncan7 said:
Maybe I didn't make my self clear. She already got her car towed, she has a decal, we are trying to see if they can be made to pay for the car being towed since there was no one ever there for her to pick up the decal in the first place to stop her car from being towed. Hopeful this was clear enough.

Who's Liable? said:

So she is suppose to call in sick to work because they are not in the office during working hours doing their job?

Gadfly

How did she get the place to begin with? Oh, I know! She took time off to come look at it and sign a lease!

HomeGuru

graciousduncan7 said:
So she is suppose to call in sick to work because they are not in the office during working hours doing their job?

**A: no, she can start a little late or leave a little early. Or have a friend, neighbor or relative pick up the decal for her, or**************. Use your freaking common sense.

south

The 11th commandment states very clearly

11: Thou shalt not park without thy decal or suffer thy consequence

Now that seems pretty clear to me

ENASNI

HomeGuru said:
**A: no, she can start a little late or leave a little early. Or have a friend, neighbor or relative pick up the decal for her, or**************. Use your freaking common sense.

Oh.. no HG that is too hard. But there is this new fangled thing known as a Telephone. I would think it would work to call and ask if a decal could be left at the residence. Or at least to let the office know she might be delayed.

Do these telephone things have anwering devices for a message, perhaps?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">