• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

last will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaelbe

What is the name of your state?NY
My husband and I, made our wills years ago, leaving everything to each other, and now we bought a car, but he just only made the title in his name, Does the car will be included in the will even we do not mention it. or we need a new will for it. Thanks for your reply.

divgradcurl

jaelbe said:
What is the name of your state?NY
My husband and I, made our wills years ago, leaving everything to each other, and now we bought a car, but he just only made the title in his name, Does the car will be included in the will even we do not mention it. or we need a new will for it. Thanks for your reply.
If your wills contain a residuary clause -- something along the lines of "everthing to X" or "Everything else to X" -- then the car would fall under that clause, and would be covered by the will. As long as your residuary clause points to the person whom you want to have the car, everything is okay.

jaelbe

NY
We do not mention the car in the will, because we bougth the car after the will was made.Please clear to me. Thanks.

nextwife

EXplaination: Everything would mean everything owned at death that is subject to probate. Did the will actually list an inventory of belongings or simply leave what each owned, respectively, to the other? If the will gives what you owned to him, and vice versa, you don't need to ammend the will whenever you buy or sell something like a car because that is "inclusive" language.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">